Stocking new 20 gallon and how to increase filtration

You need more cories, and tetras frankly. The numbers I suggested are intended to ensure a healthy, happy group of fish because you have the space for these so they should be given the best conditions and that means more of them.
Are you sure that would not be overstocked, that seems a little crowded with all those fish? I don’t think the filter could maintain that bio load.

Get rid of the apple snail, they eat live plants. Other than that id go a group of tetras 10 make a good shoal then id get a pack of dwarf coreys, either pygmaeous or hasbrosus. Like 10 of those little suckers

Are you sure that would not be overstocked, that seems a little crowded with all those fish? I don’t think the filter could maintain that bio load.

No, it is not overstocked. And the filter is frankly irrelevant. It is your physical space, the needs of the individual species, and regular substantial water changes. You also have live plants, though I did suggest some floating which will help in more ways than one. Shoaling fish that are in small numbers have more impact on the biology than do more of them, because of how it affects them. Also, the fish are relatively quiet or sedate, not active swimmers. The pandas will be the only active fish, and this species is in my experience more social than many other cories. I have six but they are in with 40 various cories and always seem to be spawning.

No, it is not overstocked. And the filter is frankly irrelevant. It is your physical space, the needs of the individual species, and regular substantial water changes. You also have live plants, though I did suggest some floating which will help in more ways than one. Shoaling fish that are in small numbers have more impact on the biology than do more of them, because of how it affects them. Also, the fish are relatively quiet or sedate, not active swimmers. The pandas will be the only active fish, and this species is in my experience more social than many other cories. I have six but they are in with 40 various cories and always seem to be spawning.
Byron is, as usual, spot on. Take on board the suggestion of floating plants. As well a the biological benefits they help shade the tank. Tetras do not like bright light.

Ya I need to do another water change for this week since I haven’t done it since last week. It is a 20 gallon high tank. I really want to order the fish either today or tomorrow but I’m debating over two stockings. One being 2 honey Gouramis, 5 neon tetras, 4 panda cories and a tiger nerite snail. Or two being a big school of neon tetras and panda cories, along with the same nerite snail. What do you think
A pair of honey gouramis are living the dream in a 20 gallon tank, you should get a small group of terras of some variety, neons like you said would be great as they are not aggressive and the gouramis can live in peace. As for the corydoras if you tank is high the floor surface area will be small so it may not be great for them. It would be better to have something like a bristlenose pleco, or otocinclis.

Maybe you could do two 40% water changes a week to improve your water quality.
Whoever gave you this advice is mistaken. Two successive 40% changes result in 36% of the bad stuff left in the water. One 75% change means only 25% is left. A single large change is always better than 2 small ones.

Whoever gave you this advice is mistaken. Two successive 40% changes result in 36% of the bad stuff left in the water. One 75% change means only 25% is left. A single large change is always better than 2 small ones.
Oh my bad , just i got told to do that with my dwarf puffers as they are extremely messy.

If you would like to add in a small sponge filter, you can do that. I like to use 2 filters in case one fails or needs media to be replaced. Having multiple cycled filters is also great for setting up new tanks, quarantine, and emergency situations.

With that being said, judging by the picture.... your tank size, setup, and filter size should be enough with proper stocking and maintenance. Idk if it was mentioned, but I'm unaware of the filter model. Looks right though.

Most reactions

Back