Stocking Mollies in 10g & Fry Maturity

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gemtrox42

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Pretty straightforward, I have two lyretail mollies (1m1f) and about a dozen fry between 1.5 and 2.5cm, they need to move and I have a 10gal I'd like to use long-term. I would like to keep the male if possible, and my LFS won't take the fry until they are about 2cm, so I will have periods with a lot of additional fry. I just don't want to crowd them in a space too small.

Also, if you think the male would need to go, how long can I keep the fry before they become mature enough to mate? I would want to keep the current fry until I can sex them reliably, then retain 3 females to keep their mom company.

10 g might be too small for that many mollies, most likely they will be stunted, it is a good space for 1 big molly. get a tub or something that is like 30-40g, cycle it and keep fry there, add a decent heater and filter.

Just 1? The aquarium stocking calculator says a 10g is good for 3 and doable for 4. Is it really that far off?
idk, mollies can get BIG, some juveniles can fit though, maybe 2 is perfect, ive seen some mollies be absolute units and some just normal

idk, mollies can get BIG, some juveniles can fit though, maybe 2 is perfect, ive seen some mollies be absolute units and some just normal
OK, I'll try manually entering sizes on the Calc and see. But out of curiosity how big are we talking here?

OK, I'll try manually entering sizes on the Calc and see. But out of curiosity how big are we talking here?
I don't agree with the first guy to respond (and thats okay!). I have a 11.2g tank that has four mollies and three platys who have grown so much and have reached adult size perfectly fine. It depends 100% on the type of molly you have (I have normal mollies). Lyretails can get pretty large but I still think you would be fine with 4!

Use AqAdvisor's calculator if you want, its the most accurate and helpful!

Your fry should be fine for the few weeks it takes them to grow. Feed them A LOT and you will be fine. Keep up with water changes (2-3 times a week).

Use AqAdvisor's calculator if you want, its the most accurate and helpful!
I have been! And one of my mollies is a lyretail. Unfortunately there is no lyretail option. However the calculator does have sailfin mollies as an option, and they are WAY bigger on bioload and filtration level than regulars. Do you know if it's more accurate to use sailfins if I have lyretails?
Your fry should be fine for the few weeks it takes them to grow. Feed them A LOT and you will be fine. Keep up with water changes (2-3 times a week).
I feed them 3 times a day, and they seem to be growing at a good pace. I have read of people feeding 5-6 times as the normal amount, though. Is it bad for me to be feeding like I am?

I have been! And one of my mollies is a lyretail. Unfortunately there is no lyretail option. However the calculator does have sailfin mollies as an option, and they are WAY bigger on bioload and filtration level than regulars. Do you know if it's more accurate to use sailfins if I have lyretails?

I feed them 3 times a day, and they seem to be growing at a good pace. I have read of people feeding 5-6 times as the normal amount, though. Is it bad for me to be feeding like I am?
I feed them 3 times a day and they grow very quickly. It depends on the amount and your own personal schedule (I feed them in the morning, after school, and before I go to bed).

Sailfins are a lot like lyretails- I venture they would be very similar. Bioload would mean you NEED to do a lot of water changes or LARGE water changes. I have the same thing- less of a size thing but bioload.

I do water changes once a week and change 50-75% of the water depending on the test results I get.

Bioload would mean you NEED to do a lot of water changes or LARGE water changes. I have the same thing- less of a size thing but bioload.

I do water changes once a week and change 50-75% of the water depending on the test results I get.
Ok, the calculator says for the mom and her fry the tank is overstocked at 115%, and for two adults the same thing. And even if I just kept the adult female, she's still pregnant which would mean several dozen additional fry soon. This is not looking good. (On the plus side though, the calc is only calling for a 20% per week water change!)

Also, can I ask what your setup is? I'd like a baseline comparison not just a mental image, for my sake. Thanks

Last edited:
Ok, the calculator says for the mom and her fry the tank is overstocked at 115%, and for two adults the same thing. And even if I just kept the adult female, she's still pregnant which would mean several dozen additional fry soon. This is not looking good.

Also, can I ask what your setup is? I'd like a baseline comparison not just a mental image, for my sake. Thanks
Does it specifically say you are overstocked?

My stocking is 123% but it doesn't say overstocked- overstocked is usually above 130%.

My setup is a 11.2g (labeled 10g but dimensions are a bit larger) TopFin aquarium. I use TopFin Power Filter 10, and a TopFin 100W heater!

My stock:
1 female dalmatian molly
2 female assorted molly
1 male black molly

1 female panda platy
1 female assorted platy
1 male bumblebee platy (still growing)

I also have five nitrite snails who clean and grow very quickly- awesome simple addition!

I also have received four lovely surprises- two molly babies and two platy babies. Should be a couple weeks old by now and are growing fast!

Seriouslyfish is a more reliable source for species requirements. Mollies need a tank 76cm/30" or 90cm/36" long minimum.
10 gallon is fine for growing fry, frequent feeds (3-5x day) and frequent water changes (daily) will help them grow.

Last edited:
Does it specifically say you are overstocked?

My stocking is 123% but it doesn't say overstocked- overstocked is usually above 130%.
Oh ok, I didn't realize that, I just assumed anything over 100% was too much.
Seriously fish relies on science, that's why it is always recommended on here.
I appreciate your input! Can you tell me why the calculator would be saying a 10g is fine for sailfins then?

The calculator just uses an algorithm, much like the "inch per gallon" rule which is just a fish's length, not the depth or weight or bioload of that fish or the ratio of the fish size to tank size. It does not consider the complex nuances of each species, for example swimming style/ territories/ bioload.

Most reactions

Back