Stocking Mollies in 10g & Fry Maturity

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The calculator just uses an algorithm, much like the "inch per gallon" rule which is just a fish's length, not the depth or weight or bioload of that fish or the ratio of the fish size to tank size. It does not consider the complex nuances of each species, for example swimming style/ territories/ bioload.
Huh. Seems like that would make pretty much any result inaccurate then, no?

Also, I really want to keep the mollies, but if a 10g is just not doable, my only other options at present are to return the fish, or keep them in poor water conditions. I would hate to do so, as they require a much higher GH than any of my other fish. I guess I could keep them in the tank for a while, but I highly doubt I'll end up able to get a bigger tank for them. Would you have any recommendations on how to proceed?

I know this is disappointing but if you are unable to provide the correct environment, it will be kinder to rehome them. This is particularly pertinent as they are breeding so you are likely to have more and more mollies in the future.

I know this is disappointing but if you are unable to provide the correct environment, it will be kinder to rehome them. This is particularly pertinent as they are breeding so you are likely to have more and more mollies in the future.
Ok. One last question - I'd like to keep some of the fry, at least until they get older and stronger, in the 10g. I have 3 sets of fry, one at 3m, 2m, and 1m old respectively. Do you think they will be ready for breeding before they outgrow the tank? And if so how can I tell?

Under good conditions, livebearers can breed from 3 months old. This is to be prevented as it is not healthy for the resulting fry or the female because she will not have reached adult size. Seperate the males and females as soon as possible.

Under good conditions, livebearers can breed from 3 months old. This is to be prevented as it is not healthy for the resulting fry or the female because she will not have reached adult size. Seperate the males and females as soon as possible.
How can I tell with fry? I have a hard enough time with adults as is

I like the old school method 1 fish inch per gallon. Easy as. Don't include the tail. This will give you a sustainable loading for your tank.

How can I tell with fry? I have a hard enough time with adults as is
:lol: it's nigh on impossible with fry, especially with high fin mollies as the female will have an elongated ray on the anal fin, however the rest of the fin will be the classic female fan/ triangle shape. My policy was, as soon as they develop a gonopodium, whisk them out.
@emeraldking May share some trade secrets of sexing young mollies.

:lol: it's nigh on impossible with fry, especially with high fin mollies as the female will have an elongated ray on the anal fin, however the rest of the fin will be the classic female fan/ triangle shape. My policy was, as soon as they develop a gonopodium, whisk them out.
@emeraldking May share some trade secrets of sexing young mollies.
OK, I will try separating and comparing them. They move around so much it's hard to see in the tank

Sexing molly fry or at least very young mollies is hard to do. For there will be a large number of males that will show the male characteristics when they're adult sized. But females tend to have a slight larger abdomen to the sides (so, not downwards). Most female mollies won't show a gravid spot. Not even when they're pregnant.
It's also that if you look at the front of the anal fin, the front side has a slight curve (you need a good eye to see this) and a rounded tip when it's a female. While a young male has got a straight front of the V-shaped anal fin and a more pointy tip (when still being a V-shape). But again, it requires a good eye.

Sexing molly fry or at least very young mollies is hard to do. For there will be a large number of males that will show the male characteristics when they're adult sized. But females tend to have a slight larger abdomen to the sides (so, not downwards). Most female mollies won't show a gravid spot. Not even when they're pregnant.
It's also that if you look at the front of the anal fin, the front side has a slight curve (you need a good eye to see this) and a rounded tip when it's a female. While a young male has got a straight front of the V-shaped anal fin and a more pointy tip (when still being a V-shape). But again, it requires a good eye.
That's really specific, thanks! Would you suggest taking pictures and/or isolating them to improve visibility?

That's really specific, thanks! Would you suggest taking pictures and/or isolating them to improve visibility?
That's up to you. But if you'd like to save most, I'd seperate them from the adults. If those fry will be swimming in one tank (container or whatever you may use), they'll be hard to determine their sex if they'l swim as a colony. But if they swim freely from eachother, while growing more, the visibility of those anal fins will be more clear.

That's up to you. But if you'd like to save most, I'd seperate them from the adults. If those fry will be swimming in one tank (container or whatever you may use), they'll be hard to determine their sex if they'l swim as a colony. But if they swim freely from eachother, while growing more, the visibility of those anal fins will be more clear.
I will have to rehome the parents as I don't have a suitable tank for them (as I found out from this tread), so the first part isn't a problem. I do have one fry at over 3 months old though, and if they become sexually mature at 3mo, I'd need to separate them from the other fry when other fry reach 3mo to prevent breeding right?

I don't agree with the first guy to respond (and thats okay!). I have a 11.2g tank that has four mollies and three platys who have grown so much and have reached adult size perfectly fine. It depends 100% on the type of molly you have (I have normal mollies). Lyretails can get pretty large but I still think you would be fine with 4!

Use AqAdvisor's calculator if you want, its the most accurate and helpful!

Your fry should be fine for the few weeks it takes them to grow. Feed them A LOT and you will be fine. Keep up with water changes (2-3 times a week).
yeah, some at the pet store are huuuuge. i never said that all will be stunted, just some like the ones that have the ability/need to grow that big :)

prob was unclear

I will have to rehome the parents as I don't have a suitable tank for them (as I found out from this tread), so the first part isn't a problem. I do have one fry at over 3 months old though, and if they become sexually mature at 3mo, I'd need to separate them from the other fry when other fry reach 3mo to prevent breeding right?
The sex of some mollies are even shown after 6 months. You won't be able to sex all of them at 3 months. Best to just monitor them from time to time and if you do see that an anal fin is going into transition of a one of them, get him out of there. But yes, better keep an eye on those developing males before they can start mating.

The sex of some mollies are even shown after 6 months. You won't be able to sex all of them at 3 months. Best to just monitor them from time to time and if you do see that an anal fin is going into transition of a one of them, get him out of there. But yes, better keep an eye on those developing males before they can start mating.
yeah, some show up late, one of my guppies's brother already showed the male colors/fin shapes, but he has not shown it yet and are still developing them (5 months)

Most reactions

Back