Stocking Levels

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mipple

Reaction score
Hi all,

My main tank is a 96 ltr (21 Gallon) reasonably planted tank, I have the following inhabitants and have roughly calculated the adult size of them all to ensure I'm at or around the 50" of fish I was advised would be accetable to live within:

2 x African Clawed Frogs (male)
6 x Guppys
3 x Plattys
1 x Swordtail
1 x Molly
1 x Golden Loach
2 x Angels
1 x Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid
1 x Cory (he's happy on his own since his m8 died)
2 x Algae Eating Shrimps
2 x Dwarf Turquoise Gourami's

Firstly is this acceptable? I am aware that when the angels are grown guppys are a no no, however the guppies will probably be dead by then as angels are currently babies and guppys don't live long?!

Secondly, is there room for any female cockatoo dwarf cichlids? I've fallen in love with my male and would love to give him two feamles for company, only...... if there is room. :D

Thanks all

Mips

IMO you haven't room for anything more at all. With that amount of fish in that size tank, I personally think that you're fully stocked.

Mipple,
I have to agree, you got a lot of fish for that size tank. Your gonna have your hands full with that amount alone. I wouldnt add any more to that tank. If you are thinking a couple of girls for your male maybe the MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) bug needs to bite you a bit.....lol. From what I have read about chiclids they need a lot of space for breeding and such.

HTH

Les

:rolleyes: Fairplay guys, got to admit you have confirmed my feelings.....

.... can't get more tanks.. boyfriend will kill me :S lol

Cheers

As others have said.....would advise against the female dwarf cichlids.

CM

Hi there mipple.

i agree that you are a bit overstocked, but you have got me curious. Are your fishes doing well? If so, I would be interested to know, because i'm sure that's an active tank!

Good luck :)

Yeah the tank is doing great, no fights / quarrels and there are plenty of places for the "babies" :wub: to hide or be active as they choose:

Big_Tank_110403_ii.gif

I know that eventually the angels will dislike the guppys, but the guppys will have passed away before the angels have grown big enough for this :D

So hey Mipple-Ville is doing well and is my pride and joy...

2 x African Clawed Frogs (male)
- Don't sure if it's good idea to keep frogs with fishes..

6 x Guppys
- Poecilia reticulata? -> basic, moderately hard water

3 x Plattys
- basic, moderately hard - hard water

1 x Swordtail
- Xiphophorus helleri? -> basic, moderately-hard - hard water

1 x Molly
same as above

1 x Golden Loach
- don't know what is this.

2 x Angels
- slightly acidic, soft water

1 x Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid
- Apistogramma cacatuoides? -> slightly acidic, soft water... Turf filtration is good to keep them in good condition.

1 x Cory (he's happy on his own since his m8 died)
- depends... usually still slightly acidic, soft water. Need school.

2 x Algae Eating Shrimps
- don't know about schrimps, there are several different species...

2 x Dwarf Turquoise Gourami's
- Colisa lalia? -> slightly acidic, soft water. Turf is good.

First you need to consider, whether you like to keep fishes which live in acidic water, or do you want to keep fishes live in basic water. They do not live together. Second angels have too little space, they need aquarium that is atleast 45-50cm high (usually 200-liters).

the frogs will eat the fish. I had a pair in a tank with some fishies once, and they swallowed the fish (young tiger barbs) whole. These grow really fast.
Angels take about 6 months to grow too big for that tank. I used to buy baby angels and 'grow them out' in my 20 gallon and return them to the store for more baby angels and fish food. Guppies live for 3 years or so, at least mine did...

Most reactions

Back