Stocking Help...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JasonMichael

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've had my upgraded tank running for around a month now, upgraded from 60l to 350l, so far so good! I'm thinking of adding some more fish shortly, however I'm unsure what else to get. I want to get some bright and colourful fish, any suggestions that would go nicely with my current stock?

Current Stock
x4 Neon Tetras
x1 Black Ghost Knife
x1 Glass Cat
x3 Bristlenose
x1 Pakistani (YoYo) Loach
x1 Ram (Bolivian) [will be adding another]

Possible Stock - Some of these may be suitable?
- Glo Barbs (Orange)
- Guppies
- Mollies
- Peacocks (discussed already, can't go in)
- Discus (apparently discus need warmer water?)
- Angel Fish
- Rummy Nose Tetra

Any suggestions or guides to stocking would be helpful, thanks!

I would not put discus or peacocks.

Discus need warmer water

Peacock cichlids are african and havye different water requirments.

First off I would up your number of neons they like to be in groups to at least 10 and glass catfish like to be groups so at least 5 altogether. If you want angelfish make sure your angelfish are small babies when you get them and the neons are big otherwise the angelfish will eat them.

First off I would up your number of neons they like to be in groups to at least 10 and glass catfish like to be groups so at least 5 altogether. If you want angelfish make sure your angelfish are small babies when you get them and the neons are big otherwise the angelfish will eat them.

Great thanks :)

I would not put discus or peacocks.

Discus need warmer water

Peacock cichlids are african and havye different water requirments.

Hmmm, what type of temp would discus require? Didn't know peacocks were african, thanks for the heads up :)

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone else had any more suggestions of something bright/colourful or awesome :) thanks.

Add another bolivian ram to make a pair. Make sure it's the opposite sex. They're really cool when they swim around together.

Add another bolivian ram to make a pair. Make sure it's the opposite sex. They're really cool when they swim around together.

Hard thing to tell if mines female or male was just reading up on it. If it is the opposite sex I'll then have them
Breeding I'm assuming - is this hard to maintain if they do / what do I do with them once they've grown haha

Hard thing to tell if mines female or male was just reading up on it. If it is the opposite sex I'll then have them
Breeding I'm assuming - is this hard to maintain if they do / what do I do with them once they've grown haha
The parents generally are pretty protective of them, so you can either put the fry in a new tank or leave them in, the only thing you have to do is feed them.
Relevant: http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=31

The parents generally are pretty protective of them, so you can either put the fry in a new tank or leave them in, the only thing you have to do is feed them.
Relevant: http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=31

Great!! Thanks!

Does anyone else know of any bright, colourful, awesome fish to go with my current stock? :)

Hi guys,

I've had my upgraded tank running for around a month now, upgraded from 60l to 350l, so far so good! I'm thinking of adding some more fish shortly, however I'm unsure what else to get. I want to get some bright and colourful fish, any suggestions that would go nicely with my current stock?

Current Stock
x4 Neon Tetras
x1 Black Ghost Knife
x1 Glass Cat
x3 Bristlenose

- Glo Barbs (Orange)
- Guppies
- Mollies
- Angel Fish
- Rummy Nose Tetra

Please sort out your current stocking before adding new species...
Is there any particular reason why you are treating Neon Tetras as feeder fish for a predatory Black Ghost Knife Fish that will reach ~50cm?
If the BGK goes, you should be looking at increasing your Neon group to 10+ and your singleton "Glass Catfish" (Kryptopterus bicirrhis or K. minor?) definitely needs 10+ ASAP as these will pine away on hunger strike in low numbers.
Your Yoyo Loach again needs a social structure as part of as least a 6+ group.

Sorting out the above is going to keep you busy for a few months, as that will be a significan increase to the tank and filter's bioload.

Hi guys,

Current Stock
x4 Neon Tetras
x1 Black Ghost Knife
x1 Glass Cat
x3 Bristlenose

- Glo Barbs (Orange)
- Guppies
- Mollies
- Angel Fish
- Rummy Nose Tetra

Please sort out your current stocking before adding new species...
Is there any particular reason why you are treating Neon Tetras as feeder fish for a predatory Black Ghost Knife Fish that will reach ~50cm?
If the BGK goes, you should be looking at increasing your Neon group to 10+ and your singleton "Glass Catfish" (Kryptopterus bicirrhis or K. minor?) definitely needs 10+ ASAP as these will pine away on hunger strike in low numbers.
Your Yoyo Loach again needs a social structure as part of as least a 6+ group.

Sorting out the above is going to keep you busy for a few months, as that will be a significan increase to the tank and filter's bioload.

The Neons and BGK get along really well actually, at first they didnt but it has been fine for the last 9 months :) the glass catfish and loach are also fine, I had other glass' but they didn't make it, I may get rid of him as I dont want 10 in my tank, the loach on the other hand, he's doing fine but I don't want 6 of them, what if I was to get another one, or can they be a different form of loach and not yoyo?

Hi Jason,
N.O.T.Goat gave you good advice there to be honest. You BGK will get to 12 - 15 inches (can get bigger, although in the aquarium they tend to be about a foot & a half max) and they will eat your small fish. Not maybe, probably, almost certainly.
As for loaches, I do not have any experience with them personally, but I have read on this forum that they prefer to be in groups of their own kind.
Perhaps you could post the question in the loaches (cyprinids section, not sure of spelling) section?
Good luck with your tank.

Most reactions

Back