Sterilizing An Aquarium

major_loon

Reaction score
I recently bought a new hospital tank (37.5 litres) for one of my cichlids (shown here as my avatar) partly to isolate him from the other fish in my main aquarium and partly for future use as a quarantine tank for new stock for the main aquarium.

Sadly "Stressed Eric" my pseudotropheus acei didn't survive more than five days and I now have a completely empty tank which I would like to sterilize.

I have read many of the articles here (and other places) about sterilizing tanks and the general opinion seems to be that bleach is the substance to use.

However, having spoken to a veterinarian and an expert in animal welfare I was told that bleach may leave some residues no matter how much it is rinsed, and this could be very harmful to the fish.

It was suggested that I use potassium permanganate instead.

Does anyone have any more information on this subject.

Please don't recommend any products which are available in the USA only as I can't acquire any of them.

A strong salt water solution will work, as well as the potassium permanganate. I, as well as others, have been using bleach for years, it is concentrated chlorine, the same as is found in tap water. The sodium thiosulfate in dechlorinator neuteralizes it.

I worry more about traces of contaminents in the water supply than bleach from cleaning. The bleach I can easily control. Ask the vet how many tanks he has cleaned with bleach vs other methods, and the resulting difference between tanks. If I could find something that works as well or better, for as cheap of a price, I would use it. I am also interested in any & all problems encountered using bleach, it's something that is good to know. Being a vet, s/he may have access to info other than I do. :)

I have heard that vinegar is good for cleaning tanks as it is an acid.

But I used Milton (as in the stuff used for steralising babies bottles) as it washes away more easily than bleach.

However, having spoken to a veterinarian and an expert in animal welfare I was told that bleach may leave some residues no matter how much it is rinsed, and this could be very harmful to the fish.

As long as you buy cheap plain bleach this is not a concern, its sodium hypochlorite and breaks down pretty easilly. After rinsing well, any residual chlorine can be dealt with using the same decloriniators that you use to treat your tapwater. Bleach with added fragrances and/or surfactants will leave residues, so these should be avoided.

Vinegar is good too (and also gets rid of limescale on tanks), just dont dilute it too much before use. Its easilly rinsed away and any remaining vinegar is volatile enough to evaporate off.

Potassium permanganate should be OK, its an effective anti-microbial but is not as easy to source. Just make sure its well rised afterwards. Its highly coloured so its fairly easy to see how good a job you have done with the rising, however, I would prefer it less than bleach or vineagar simply because any remaining vinegar or bleach is dealt with by drying/declorination, residues from the permangante can only be removed by effective washing.

Concentrated salt solution is a reasonable anti-microbial but is unlikely to be as effective as the other methods. Then again, you can be careless about your rinsing afterwards without putting your fish at risk.

I havent tried Milton, never had any around and was happy with other options. Other than knowing its used for sterilising baby-bottles, I have no idea off-hand what it is chemically.

My personal preference is the vinegar, but the others probably all have their merits too.

S.

Thanks for the answers.

I never heard of anyone using Milton before but its good to know anyway.

I, as well as others, have been using bleach for years, it is concentrated chlorine, the same as is found in tap water.
After rinsing well, any residual chlorine can be dealt with using the same decloriniators that you use to treat your tapwater.
I am sure you guys are going to hate me for saying this but I don't use a dechlorinator and I never have. I don't need to, my "tap water" has no chlorine and is the softest water my local aquarist shop has ever seen.

Most reactions

Back