Sterbai Corys

dtaylor21184

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just had to share how much I love these little guys I have 6 and they shoal together all the time and play. They are so funny I love watching them quite possibly my favourite fish so far I'm so glad I found corys I fell in love from the momen I saw a picture of them on here it was a sterbai actually that I saw first on here but didn't realise the species to start with. I want a bigger tank just so I can get more corys.

So who else has sterbai?

I do - I felt their markings were the most attractive. Love their characters!

I only have 3 (I rescued them). The female has her chosen male, and the other male kind of does his own thing. I am hoping to keep one of the females from the other pair and see if she will pair up with him.

How well do they shoal?

honestly so close most of the time they look like one huge fish lol they spend their time swimming up and down the side of the tank taking it in turns i'd say they was a closer unit than anything in my tank including tetra lol. my bronze corys don't shoal very much so to see these guys togther all the time is great

corys are now my favourite fish, sterbais are nice, but my favourite are panda cory,, i have 1 bronze ,1 albino. and im gettin 4 panda,and 3 sterbai this week, my tank will just be corys,and shoal of rummy nose tetras, a sand substrate is a must for corys

Mine don't shoal that much actually, sometimes they swim up and down the side of the tank in pairs or small groups and sometimes they all enjoy swimming in the current created by my filter.

They have a great nose for food - a bit of flake missed by the Guppies fell to the floor and three of them were in the general area in a flash. Then started sifting the sand near the flake until one found it and sat munching (I guess their eyesight isn't that sharp) They also enjoy picking bits off the plants I have.

I do have a bit of a problem feeding them as the tablet I purchased specifically for the Cories is loved by the other fish and they tend to get muscled out at feeding time. I have taken to giving them food at night time in the dark to discourage the Guppies and hopefully enable my Sterbais to get some food!

corys are now my favourite fish, sterbais are nice, but my favourite are panda cory,, i have 1 bronze ,1 albino. and im gettin 4 panda,and 3 sterbai this week, my tank will just be corys,and shoal of rummy nose tetras, a sand substrate is a must for corys

I would consider picking either pandas OR Sterbai and getting 6/7 of them instead of a small number of both. Trust me they will enjoy being in a bigger group and you will get a LOT more activity from them than having two smaller groups.

Mine don't shoal that much actually, sometimes they swim up and down the side of the tank in pairs or small groups and sometimes they all enjoy swimming in the current created by my filter.

They have a great nose for food - a bit of flake missed by the Guppies fell to the floor and three of them were in the general area in a flash. Then started sifting the sand near the flake until one found it and sat munching (I guess their eyesight isn't that sharp) They also enjoy picking bits off the plants I have.

I do have a bit of a problem feeding them as the tablet I purchased specifically for the Cories is loved by the other fish and they tend to get muscled out at feeding time. I have taken to giving them food at night time in the dark to discourage the Guppies and hopefully enable my Sterbais to get some food!

If you get some sinking pellets for cories and feed them at night, they should do well.

I would consider picking either pandas OR Sterbai and getting 6/7 of them instead of a small number of both. Trust me they will enjoy being in a bigger group and you will get a LOT more activity from them than having two smaller groups.

+1
And add to the other numbers to bring them up to at least 6 as well.

Sorry to say it but C. pandas and C. sterbai are not a particularly good combination to keep in the same tank. The pandas thrive in cool water while the sterbai need warm. I suggest you pick a temperature range for your tank and stock it with the fish best suited to it.

You can always get another tank later if you are particularly fond of both kinds of cory. ;)

If you get some sinking pellets for cories and feed them at night, they should do well.
My other fish (platys and swordtails) are such pigs that this is the only way the poor cories would get any food. And of the entire tank, the cories are probably my favourite fish too! Or maybe the betta ... or the cories ... or the betta ... or the cories .. or the

Sorry to say it but C. pandas and C. sterbai are not a particularly good combination to keep in the same tank. The pandas thrive in cool water while the sterbai need warm. I suggest you pick a temperature range for your tank and stock it with the fish best suited to it.

You can always get another tank later if you are particularly fond of both kinds of cory. ;)

I'm just interested in sterbais ... now to find some!
biggrin.gif

i have a few and they really liven up the tank :thumbs: just seeing them with their noses down snuffeling in the sand makes me happy and says that every1 suold b able to experience and enjoy them ^_^

Most reactions

Back