Steralizing Question

Frollickyfish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ive had a really bad couple of days with some of my girls dying and the rest looking like they are going the same way. :-( Anyway Im going to have to steralize their 70L tank and was wondering if I should throw the filter media away too incase or just steralize the rest of the tank and leave the media so I wont have to re-cycle the tank, might the media be holding the disease or bacteria which is killing them?

if you treat them then there really shouldn't be any need to steralise the tank

what are they dying of?

if you treat them then there really shouldn't be any need to steralise the tank

what are they dying of?
Looks like an internal bacteria thing thats going on to cause Dropsy. The rate they are going down with it despite treating the tank I wouldnt risk any new fish in there until its steralised.

Hi
The bacteria that cause infections are generally always present, its only when fish get stressed, or water stat issue, or too infrequent water changes/filter media cleaning that these bacteria can affect the fish. Obviously, infection can be brought in with new fish too.

If you have done a course of anti bac and are still having problems I would repeat the course. What did you use?

Once its under control, run some activated carbon in your filter for a week and then remove it. Remember to finish any treatment though.

Hi
The bacteria that cause infections are generally always present, its only when fish get stressed, or water stat issue, or too infrequent water changes/filter media cleaning that these bacteria can affect the fish. Obviously, infection can be brought in with new fish too.

If you have done a course of anti bac and are still having problems I would repeat the course. What did you use?

Once its under control, run some activated carbon in your filter for a week and then remove it. Remember to finish any treatment though.
Interpet Anti internal bacteria in the main tank and Ive used a combination of Myaxin and epsom salts on the ones I took out o0f the main tank to treat their various problems. I did have a new girl that after 2 weeks suddenly die without symptoms and now a couple of weeks later this despite doing a 70% water change. Ive also added a few ramshorn snails which may have carried an infection.

Yeh, it could have come in with new fish/snails etc....If the new girl suddenly died the chances are it was her. I cant remember what it says about repeating the anti bac (its on the bottle), but thats what i would do. Even if some aren't showing any probems they could still be affected.

I would do a 50% water chage, rinse out the filter media (in tank water), and re-treat. Maybe worth giving the gravel a vac during the water change.

I'd then do another water change, use some carbon in half the filter chamber for a few days and then remove it. Dont forget to leave some mature media in the filter. You can either clean or replace the media you have to take out to accomodate the carbon.

P.S. If there are any letter "N's" missing its this flippin laptop LOL

Yeh, it could have come in with new fish/snails etc....If the new girl suddenly died the chances are it was her. I cant remember what it says about repeating the anti bac (its on the bottle), but thats what i would do. Even if some aren't showing any probems they could still be affected.

I would do a 50% water chage, rinse out the filter media (in tank water), and re-treat. Maybe worth giving the gravel a vac during the water change.

I'd then do another water change, use some carbon in half the filter chamber for a few days and then remove it. Dont forget to leave some mature media in the filter. You can either clean or replace the media you have to take out to accomodate the carbon.

P.S. If there are any letter "N's" missing its this flippin laptop LOL
Lol! I could only count one missing! :lol: Thanks for the advice. :good:

Most reactions

Back