Starting A Tropical Fish Tank

In a fishless cycle you add 5ppm of ammonia (bought froma store) into the tank. After awhile the bacteria that live in your filter build up. They feed on the ammonia and this is why when you have fish, hopefully, the ammonia will stay a 0 ppm.

ok then, can anyone point me in the right direction for a ammonia testing kit, or a testing kit to record all factors, ammonia, nitrate and PH, thanks

API Freshwater Master Test Kit. This is what many of the people on the forum use. It tests for all of the things I mentioned.

I suggest having another read through the 'Fishless Cycle' thread. It sounds as if you're starting to understand the concepts of cycling a tank, but believe me, I think it will help if you read it again.

API Freshwater Master Test Kit. This is what many of the people on the forum use. It tests for all of the things I mentioned.

I suggest having another read through the 'Fishless Cycle' thread. It sounds as if you're starting to understand the concepts of cycling a tank, but believe me, I think it will help if you read it again.

so if azzaknight is correct by saying my tank is more than 25 litre how many more fish would i be able to have in it?

It depends what size it actually is.
On your computer screen look where it has a pic of that yellow fish and says "FishForums.Net
Then look down and it says 'Tropical Fish Forever Home' and 'General Rules'.
Look across and it says ' Aquarium Calculator'.
Click on that and type in the measurements of you tank. It will tell you how many litres it is.

so if azzaknight is correct by saying my tank is more than 25 litre how many more fish would i be able to have in it?

If your tank says 25 litres then its 25 litres. If you want to get more fish than you have been advised then look at getting a bigger tank. 25 litres is tiny so id look at a betta and some shrimp and nothing else.

Best of luck & please take on board all the advice you have been given :good:

EDIT: Just saw ur update so that gives you a nice bit more room but you will have plenty of time to research what fish you can get as you are fishless cycling the tank. Best of luck

If your tank says 25 litres then its 25 litres. If you want to get more fish than you have been advised then look at getting a bigger tank. 25 litres is tiny so id look at a betta and some shrimp and nothing else.

EDIT: Just saw ur update so that gives you a nice bit more room but you will have plenty of time to research what fish you can get as you are fishless cycling the tank. Best of luck

put the measurements into the calculator on here and it says 65 litres

thats what i have my bettas tank at i believe but like i said get other peoples opinions on the temp and ph

in actual fact it says my tank is 68 litres

That is great!! :good: This gives you more stocking options.
Do a search on the internet on something like 'Tropical Fish Species' and have a look through at the different types of fish. Come back and post your favourites on here and we can advise you on:
If the fish is suitable for the size of your tank
The amount of fish (some need to live in schools)
The compatibily of the species that you like.

Good luck searching!! :D

I would try and get an idea of the fish you want and then choose the gravel or sand depending on that - we bought gravel with the tank, and started looking at fish whilst it settled in. I then promptly kicked myself because the gravel rules out several of the more interesting bottom dwellers, such as khuli looches.

This leads on to the main and most inportant rule I had to set myself for everything I buy now - research three times, buy once...... :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back