Spring Clean.....................how To ?

Malfie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI GUYS.
I HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR AN UPGRADE FOR A FEW WEEKS AND FINALLY WON AN EBAY AUCTION FOR A USED JEWEL REKORD 120.
I GOT IT AT A GOOD PRICE AND IT EVEN CAME WITH BAGS OF EXTRAS.
SOUNDS GOOD SO FAR,BUT WHEN I GOT THE THING HOME AND TOOK A LONGER LOOK IT WAS FILTHY TO SAY THE LEAST.
MUST SAY IT WAS VERY SATISFYING TO CLEAN OUT THE FILTER AND THE HEATER WHICH HAD ABOUT 3MM OF LIMESCALE ALL OVER IT ! - POOR CHILLY FISH BUT I'M HAVING GREAT PROBLEMS WITH THE GLASS.
THERE ARE TRACES OF LIMESCALE,STICKER RESIDUE AND GLUE(USED TO ATTACH THE BACKGROUND) ALL OVER THE THING AND IT MAKES ME WANT TO CRY :shout:
I KNOW YOU ARE PROBABLY GOING TO SAY I CAN'T USE ANY CLEANING PRODUCT,BUT WHAT ELSE CAN I DO ? SO FAR I HAVE USED A SPONGE AND A COARSE ALGAE SPONGE BUT I'M WORRIED ABOUT PRESSING TOO HARD AS I DON'T WANT TO SCRATCH THE GLASS :crazy:

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.I'M SO PLEASED I HAVE LARGER TANK,BUT AT THE MOMENT I KIND A WISH I HADN'T BOTHERED.
CHEERS,GUYS.

MALFIE

for the outside of the glass you can use normal glass/window cleaner. face away from the tank and spray the stuff onto a cloth, then it won't get into the water.

i think the alge brush is your best bet for the inside, i shouldn't worry about scratching your tank, providing you rinse the brush regularly it wont be a problem.

vinegar and water and a soft cloth will remove the sticky stuff off the back, try to keep it away from the silicone though, but its no biggie if you do just wipe it off.

Thanks to you all.
I have spent ages so far trying EVERYTHING,but the back was still covered in alsorts of crap so I have just painted it cream which will show off the plants and blend in with my wall colour.

Hope it will look ok.

Bye.
Malfie.

Most reactions

Back