Hatchetfish experience

This family is not always easy to maintain. The species in Carnegiella are certainly on the delicate side, though this does seem to reduce once they are established in the aquarium. We previously determined you have C. marthae.

The source has a lot to do with survival initially. I acquired a group (12) of C. strigata two years ago. They were in the QT for a month, all seemed well, so they went into their display tank. Everything seemed fine. After a few weeks, within the space of just two days, all were dead. The entire group of Paracheirodon similis (false or green neon tetra) that had been in the tank for months also died at the same time. No idea what it was, but given the hatchets came from a chain store I suspect they carried something that did not make itself know during the quarantine period. About three months later, I had opportunity to acquire the hatchet (also C. strigata), this time from an independent and highly reputable store, and these were wild caught in Peru. I got 12. No issues. These were lineage 1 of this complex [see details below].

As previously noted in this thread, the tank absolutely must be covered. And attention must be given to their natural habitat environment so this can be replicated a closely as possible. I have during the 30 years keeping fish had all species in Carnegiella except C. schereri which is remarkably similar in appearance (and everything else) to C. marthae. Gery (1973) considered this fish as a sub-species, C. marthae schereri. Gery noted that the species in this genus are polytipic, meaning that there are two or more distinct populations that can be recognized within each species. These are to me very lovely fish.

The lineage detail. More recent phylogenetic analysis has shown that while the genus Carnegiella is monophyletic, the species C. strigata is not. Examination of populations within the Negro and Uatuma blackwater rivers has revealed two monophyletic lineages within this species, with considerable genetic distance (10-12%) between them, making it probable that there are two distinct species within this complex (Schneider, et al, 2012; Abe, et al, 2013).

The differentiation of C. strigata into distinct forms, the strigata type (S type), fasciata type (F type) and intermediate type (SF), was previously described by Gery (1973) based on differing band patterns in external morphology. The geographical distribution of the S type is Guyana, Suriname and some regions of the Amazon channel; the mid-band is thin and divides into a “Y” midway. The distribution of the F type is reported to dominate the Amazon basin from the city of Iquitos (Peru) to the city of Belem (Brazil) and includes the Caqueta River (Colombia); the mid-band is solid and wider by contrast to the S type pattern. According to Gery (1973), the two forms are sympatric between the city of Manacapuru and the Urubu River. Furthermore, the SF type is found in the Negro and Orinoco Rivers. Among the individuals analysed genetically, individuals from lineage 1 display a band pattern on the flanks similar to the SF form, whereas individuals from lineage 2 display the S band pattern (Schneider, et al, 2012).

Another study has found that within the species C.marthae there are three distinct lineages. Further analysis is needed.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back