Sorority Tank (and one happy fellow!)

Andie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well I got tired of seeing my ladies in their yucky ice cream buckets, so I ran downtown with my little cousin (I'm hoping to pass on the betta obsession to her, too :sly:) and what do you know? The little drugstore actually sells needlepoint canvas! So we ran back and forth from the store to the house taking measurements, figured out what we needed and they're all set up so perdy :wub:

Fiyero, having gotten used to the tank, gets to stay in one of the little condos until poor Sarima's fins heal up entirely; she's in his bowl right now with her own plant and gravel and she doesn't take kindly to visitors. I managed to get pics of everybody, though, and I even got a not-too-shabby shot of Fiyero's lil bitty bubble nest. Somebody just can't wait! :lol:

nessa2.jpg

Nessarose. Increasingly looking like Fiyero's prospective bride ;) Her finnage is spectacular, IMHO, and she's healed amazingly fast. Plus, she's barred up like crazy and looking for a feller ;)

nessa1.jpg

Whatcha got there, Mum?

elphie3.jpg

Elphaba. Naaasty girl. She's been flaring at Nessa through the canvas, and at Fiyero through the other side! She's starting to bar up just now, so maybe she thinks he's worth looking at.

elphie2.jpg

Looking at him.

elphie1.jpg

Back off, lady, I mean it.

galinda2.jpg

Galinda. Poor little girl has been stress-striped all afternoon! She does seem to like her new home, though.

galinda1.jpg

Exploring as daintily as she can.

elphiefiyerogalinda.jpg

Here's a shot of Fiyero checking Elphie (left) out- you can also just make out Galinda on the right, and his lovely little bubble nest up top.

tank.jpg

The whole tank

sarima2.jpg

Sarima, in her own bowl (very camera shy!)

sarima1.jpg

Venturing forward a little. Very stress striped too, poor thing :-(

ETA: Galinda's really improved now, and her stress stripes have been replaced by spawning bars. When I get home tonight I'll try to snap a few more pics of her.

Great pics Andie, loved looking at them. :)

Wow, that first girl is stunning! Where did you get these girls?

I got them from Cathy Ashcroft- she runs Northwest BCBetta. As far as I know she breeds on a relatively small scale but her fish are generally stunning, and these guys are no exception. Shipping is also fairly reasonable, since for me it was a cross-country order.

Yes, Nessa is currently my favourite too :wub: She's barred up so beautifully ever since I put them all in the same tank, and her fins are quite good for a female; I only wish I had a really good shot of her tail. It's almost a full halfmoon, and her mother came from excellent HM stock so I expect her beebees to be stunning :p

Nice fishies :cool: What's holding the plastic canvas in place? It looks like it might be flexible enough that a determined betta could get from one section to another.

The canvas itself is very flexible, yes, but it's too wide for the tank so it's got those ripples in it because it's wedged quite tightly in place. It's also buried in the substrate, so even if they somehow did hit it hard and high enough (which, atm, they would have to leap out of the water to do) it's anchored so that it won't slide all the way over; it'll just make a sort of cave over the betta in the next compartment.

Also a quick update: I checked on Galinda this morning and was glad to see that her stress stripes have been replaced by some truly stunning spawning bars. Elphie's have darkened too, and Fiyero is nearly dizzy with anticipation :p They'll probably all be glad of the rest he'll get when I move him into his own tank in a week :lol:

You might want to find something other than the potting pots, block the tiny hole in it or somehow manage to make it bigger. My Betta decided one day to try and swim through the hole and got himself stuck in it and I had to twist him out and he later died of his injuries.

Wow, thanks for the tip; I thought the holes looked way too small for them, but I guess the bettas wouldn't realise that! :lol: I'll get the pots out when I get home tonight and silicone two pieces of the leftover needlepoint canvas over the holes.

I'll also get new pics of Galinda to post tonight; I meant to yesterday, but my plans were interrupted by a family barbecue ;)

Updated with two new pics of Galinda- I'm on my lunch break, so I just snapped them quickly. As you can see, except for that grotesque piece missing from her tail (bad Elphie! bad!) she looks much better.

I checked on Sami and she's perking up, too, so if she colours up properly by this evening I'll also add some new pics of her.

galinda4.jpg

Wondering why Mummy gets so upset every time she turns to mug for the camera (because then I can't see your body, silly girl!)

galinda3.jpg

Oh all right, I'll go look for new friends. Hmph.

Most reactions

Back