Soon To Be Released - Fish Diary V1.0

ha ha as i was watching i though "damn he types fast!"

Looks like a great program! to be honest $4.99 is nothing, i spend more than that on lunch at work every day!! i would be looking at releasing it for AT LEAST $9.99 maybe even $15.99

Although im sure plenty of people will buy it for $5 since like i said its nothing!

I'll be watching this project very closely, i would happily buy it too

If it's only GBP 5, I'd be happy to pay and test it for that. But, you will have to be prepared for my "You should do this", "I'd like this", "This is wrong..." emails : ) PM me if you are interested and I'll paypal you.

Guys,

i'm a college student and i'm not trying to get rich off this program.

as far as sending me comments, please do! that's why i'm giving out the keys so those people can give feedback. but i'm more than welcome for anyone else to give me more feedback. :good:

BY THE WAY, FOR THOSE INTERESTED!

there will be a demo released either tonight or tomorrow as I have completed it already! all i'm missing is to package it and upload it, you guys will be the first to get the DEMO.it will be the full program without the option to save anything changes. :good:

well guys...guess christmas came early i guess!

here's da DEMO! :good:

http://www.keepitfishy.com/v1.0_demo.exe

if you would like to look at the README before trying the demo, or instead of trying the demo :blink: , here's the link

http://www.keepitfishy.com/readme.pdf

*crosses fingers and hopes it works for everyone*

NOTE: this should work on Windows 2000 and newer. Not supported in MAC or LINUX (sorry) and i'm not sure of older versions of Windows. anyone with access to windows 98 or ME, 95 or Nt or whatever, if you can try it and report to me whether it works or not, i'd highly appreciate it! :blush:

i dont know yet. all that's missing is a massive collection of internet data soo whenever i can get around to do the whole thing!

for those of you who downloaded the program before this message i'm posting now:

please uninstall, re-download and re-install. i found a small bug after posting it up that's been fixed. if you stay with that older version you will eventually get an error that will close the program...so might as well re-install now...or just wait for it, it's up to you guys! :good:

Just so you know the UK aint in euros its in GPB (Great Bristish Pounds or the £ sign :good:)

As far as i know the $ is still double the £ so $5 = £2.50!! You may be a student but i would still ask for a bit more!!

Gonna download the demo now :good:

ok 3 major problems straight away!!

1) No option for uk gallons (im assuming its in US gallons)

2) when i goto add fish to my tank it says its a 38 gal tank!? (i entered a 5 gallon shrimp tank 1!?!?)

3) theres no exit button, only a shrink button? after that firefox opens in a tiny window at the top left of the screen (where the program was)

my friend you are using the DEMO, hence you cant save anything!!!
you can play around with the information i threw in there, but you will not be able to save anything at any stage of the program. this is done to avoid "cracking" the program into having a full version.

so once again, nothing you do will be saved...at all! not unless you have the full version :shifty:

with regards to the UK gallons thing, i wasn't aware of a difference in gallons from the US to the UK :blush:
anyways, unless you want it to say UK Gallons for the rest of the program it doesnt make a difference which gallons its in, its just a label. let me know if you UK users (this seems to be the only forum i'm in that is mainly UK-based) think I should differentiate in UK gallons vs US Gallons...

and lastly, the program is intended to always run in the background. that way we can make use of the very handy reminders. i guess i oughta add that to the readme then. so the default action will be to minimize. if you want to close it, right click the tray icon and click on exit. as you'll find, on the demo you cant choose for it not to ask you again, but in the full version you will be able to just close without getting that warning message :good:

i hope that clarifies things...let me know of anythign else and what you think about the US/UK gallons thing then :unsure:

EDIT: can you explain about that firefox thing? dont know what you're talking about :blink:

yeah i read that bit, i just assumed it meant it wouldnt save the sesion, not the whole thing! thats fair enough though

Yeah theres def a difference between the two, all i know is that the US gal is more than the UK gal

Knowing theres no "x" button is REALLY off putting, dont know why, maybe its just because thats what I'm used too? Also like i said whenever its running firefox opens in a tiny window rather than normal

EDIT

firefox is fine now, must of been my laptop. Also i see why it runs in the background now too :good:

:cool: Good job!!!!
Regarding the problems about the US/UK Gallons, i thing it does matter, as 30UK Gallons is 32US Galls. otherthant that, good work!

well as i told ya, i'm taking everything you guys say in consideration.
i now added to the readme the information regarding why the program will minimize instead of close. to accomodate people who don't want it to do that, it now says "Hide" instead of exit. if you want to really just shut down the program, you can right click on the "Hide" button and change it to Exit, and from there on the program will always exit unless you right click again and choose to minimize. it looks nice i think. that'll be in the full version :good:

my issue with making a separate thing for UK gallons is that the Gallons thing is nothing but a label (at this point in the program, that might change in future versions :shifty: ) so i can make it say UK Gallons or US Gallons, but all i'll be doing is changing the name. there's no (once again, at this point) functionality embedded into the gallons/liters thing.
but to take you guys into consideration, how is that usually put?

something like would be the little section i the tank editor:
Gallons (US)
Gallons (UK)
Liters

but when it comes dow to the abbreviated form that you see throughout the program, is it still G?

Hi,

This sounds a great idea, good luck with it.

How will you be handling upgrades as the software evolves.

Regards

Dave.

Most reactions

Back