Sometihng Fungas Growing On Fins?

weary01

Reaction score
help!!!!!! i recently put a big bit of wood in my 35ltr tank an just noticed it has wat looks like mould algae or something growing on the wood, an the fins on my dwarf gourami look like theres something growing on them but just makes them a bit cloudy not so much now i have been changing the filter pads more regularly.

i am going to buy a filter pad that stops the growing of algae and see if that helps, but is there something else i should be doing that i am not? ihave charcoal an foam filters with ceramic discs in place now.

thanks

Hi!

When you say you've been "changing the filter pads" - do you mean you've been taking out the sponge from the filter and putting new sponge in? How often have you been doing this?

The thing is, for a filter to work effectively, the sponges should not be removed because every time you replace them with a new sponge it means your tank is then going to have to recycle and during that process your tank is then susceptible to high ammonia/nitrite levels (which will cause disease/deaths in fish).

If your filter sponges look clogged with nasty gunk, just give them a light sloosh in a bowl of tank water to remove excess debris. Never overclean them, either.

You don't need charcoal filters in the tank unless you've been using medications and want to clear the tank of any excess meds.

If you have recently changed your sponge then you will need to be doing very regular water changes to keep the chemical levels down to a minimum.

Athena

What are you water stats? (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph)

As Athena said changing the sponges or washing them kills or eliminates the good bacteria that helps keep your water stats safe for your fish. Without it your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate will sky rocket or you'll have to do constant water changes until the bacteria builds back up.

As for your gourami can you give a little more detail on what you see on its fins? What color it is, which fin(s) its located on, if its spots or all over, just as much detail about it as you can. Is it showing any other symptoms? If it is sick, the more details you give the faster we can diagnose and help it. Don't get too concerned though, it could be something as simple as stress. But first things first, water stats please.

Most reactions

Back