Someone Has To Know What this Is!

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
This has come up a number of times...white bump on neon tetra mouth. Not fuzzy, not contagious.
D4E79710-EE92-4E4D-86DA-F46D670891AC.jpeg
CA763D3A-B96E-487D-AA7A-7AB57D1FF713.jpeg
have one in pic that has had it for going on a year. Tried several meds. People are asking all over Safari and Google about it but no definitive answer. Possibly viral. My vet friend doesn’t know. Fish is fine with beautiful coloring. Just an ugly bump on his nose/mouth area. @Colin_T or @Byron. Any ideas? Sorry but he wouldn’t get out of the bubbles in background.

Last edited:
That's Tetra Mouth Fungus.
There's nothing a lot to do with it, but if it's really big that the tetra can't eat any more then you need To relax the fish using salt and doing a treatment with chemical medications or Eunthanize. I heard that people using artemiss to treat this but I don't really like using a chemical to treat fish if I don't really need to. I can't tell if they're uncomfortable or not since they didn't show stress behaviour / Symptom like Colour change or turning pale.
this disease is so common for neon tetra. Unlike other tetra species like Green Neon / Cardinal Tetra but unfortunately, none know what the cause and what the proper treatment for this

I doubt it's fungal or bacterial because they would spread pretty quickly. Leaving us with viral or protozoan, and it isn't protozoan.

I would say it's a virus specific to neon tetras but the only real way to find out is to have the growth removed from the fish and looked at in a lab. Maybe your vet friend can kill the fish and remove the growth and send it off to a lab for identification.

Are you sure? De has said that it not fuzzy and not contagious.
Yeah, it's not what I think.
It's a fact that most of People refer that to Neon Tetra Fungus. I am not an expert but that's what I believe it is, I might be wrong.

Yeah, it's not what I think.
It's a fact that most of People refer that to Neon Tetra Fungus. I am not an expert but that's what I believe it is, I might be wrong.
If it would be fungus it would be fuzzy.

Mine had this too. Lived for almost a year until it was unable to eat. Still active and eating and everything. Not contagious. Its bizarre

I doubt it's fungal or bacterial because they would spread pretty quickly. Leaving us with viral or protozoan, and it isn't protozoan.

I would say it's a virus specific to neon tetras but the only real way to find out is to have the growth removed from the fish and looked at in a lab. Maybe your vet friend can kill the fish and remove the growth and send it off to a lab for identification.
Dr. Dave lives in Alabama. I don’t want to kill him anyway. He’s perfectly happy. I just can’t believe with all of the questions all over the web about it that no one has I.D.’d the virus yet.

That's Tetra Mouth Fungus.
There's nothing a lot to do with it, but if it's really big that the tetra can't eat any more then you need To relax the fish using salt and doing a treatment with chemical medications or Eunthanize. I heard that people using artemiss to treat this but I don't really like using a chemical to treat fish if I don't really need to. I can't tell if they're uncomfortable or not since they didn't show stress behaviour / Symptom like Colour change or turning pale.
this disease is so common for neon tetra. Unlike other tetra species like Green Neon / Cardinal Tetra but unfortunately, none know what the cause and what the proper treatment for this
No, it’s not Tetra Mouth Fungus. It’s a virus of some sort.

Most reactions

Back