So Many Questions So Little Time

lemond68

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
we changed from a 55g tank to a 75g tank, and also changed filtration systems. we went from the aqua-quip waterfall style filter to a Fluval 305 tubing/gravity based system

the question is this:

the old waterfall set up seemed to agitate the water more and "seemed" to get oxygenation happening more efficiently. the new system of hoses churns water out but does not agitate the water. I know that the proof of efficient filtration will be in nitrogen waste levels but how do i know that i am oxygenating the tank as well as before?

thank you for your scientific and sundry answers ahead of time.
;)

you can buy oxygen test kits, to see if oxygenation is up to par. if you want to increase oxygenation, make sure that there is surface agitation, more than middle and lower level. this promotes the exchange of CO2 and O2 from the atmosphere and the water.

thanks for the input, and I understand that surgace agitation helps oxygenate the tank. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Fluval by Hagen filter system (or something similar where both intake and ouput ports are underwater). Since I see no agitation I wonder if there is enough movement to keep the tank healthy?

I wouldn't worry too much about oxygen levels when using that filter as I'm sure the boffins at the fluval research lab will have already worked out the math on that score, otherwise they would not have released the filter into public domain.
Just a thought though, is there no way you can fit a spraybar on the return pipe, positioned at the water surface. Either Fluval or DIY.
Regards
BigC

Not sure if they fit your model, but here's a link to what BigC's referring to.
[URL="http://www.everythingforpets.com/category/use.dept.1162/"]http://www.everythingforpets.com/category/use.dept.1162/[/URL]

Spray bars are pretty effective, in my experience. There's not strong surface movement like I had with my old filter, but there is a gentle rippling over the entire surface instead of a turbulent wake at the filter outlet. Keeps the oxygen up and doesn't freak out my surface dwelling fish - you have no idea how frustrating it is when your corys are regularly swimming at a higher level than hatchetfish, lol.

the spray bar kit is what i was wondering about since it seems that there is little agitation of the surface water... however as someone mentioned above I should get an oxygen measuring device/kit and see if i need it. I want to keep the stocked with fish as tolerated but i don't want oxygenation of the tank be the limiting factor.

Most reactions

Back