So Excited!

fish_fetish65

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i was looking around at local ads for fish tanks, and i stumbled upon this gem...

the ad: "I have 2 fishtanks/ stands...a 55g and a 39g tank, both with stands (55g=wood, 39g=metal) **39g is same footprint as 20g/ long, but 2x as high**, undergravel filter pans, heater, powerhead, lights, whisper filter, etc...virtually everything needed to get started. 39g has natural-colored rocks as well. selling house and don't have anywhere to put them. $100 obo."

how exciting is that?!!! i'm going to check it out tomorrow morning, and will hopefully return home with two new fish tanks!!! :D

I'm so jealous! Thats such a good deal! :drool:

Man, I wish I could find good deals like that....

Do you know yet what you want to stock them with?

well, i currently have a 55G with about 20+/- tropical community fish. i'm going to move those into the new 39G, probably put live plants in it, etc. i'm going to use the current 55G and put sand in the bottom and purchase a jack dempsey, 5 silver dollars, and 3 clown loaches (plus, perhaps, a pleco?). that will leave me with an extra 55G, which i would use for an oscar... but i don't think it'll be big enough. so i'm thinking maybe african cichlids? something like that... always open to suggestions :)

... always open to suggestions :)

A giant school of danios. And nothing else! :lol: (major danio fan)

I have always wanted an oscar as well, though I do think they need larger tanks. (75 or 80 gallons)

One single betta! :lol:

Ok, seriously, sorry, lol. I don't really know, as I have always kept smaller tanks. (30 gallons was HUGE to me!) So I don't have any experience with larger fish tanks, so can't really speak from personal experience. :sly:

I think you could do a pair of angels, and work off of that, though. ;) (I have been researching angels for my 30 gallon.)

... always open to suggestions :)

A giant school of danios. And nothing else! :lol: (major danio fan)

I have always wanted an oscar as well, though I do think they need larger tanks. (75 or 80 gallons)

One single betta! :lol:

Ok, seriously, sorry, lol. I don't really know, as I have always kept smaller tanks. (30 gallons was HUGE to me!) So I don't have any experience with larger fish tanks, so can't really speak from personal experience. :sly:

I think you could do a pair of angels, and work off of that, though. ;) (I have been researching angels for my 30 gallon.)

LOL, nice ideas. i especially love the user name.

i think a single betta would get lost in the tank, LOL.
i do currently have lots of danios... though they have claimed the back of a tank ornament as their own. they're like the "danio mafia" or something. if any fish dares to go down that particular alley, they chase it away LOL. they hang out there constantly until feeding time, of course. :D

i'm going to drive/fly wherever that is and get them for $110 before you....

and even with the transportation costs, the tanks and your reaction would make the trip worth it, heh.

i'm going to drive/fly wherever that is and get them for $110 before you....

and even with the transportation costs, the tanks and your reaction would make the trip worth it, heh.

you would only get to live with that satisfaction for a brief moment... i would kill you rather quickly, should you do that. :angel:

get a bichir, or a red-wolf, (erythrinus erythrinus).

Turn it brackish and get a puffer, F8 maybe?

meh theyre just my fav fish to keep.

a huge shoal of corys, khuli, danios and other stuff would do it for me¬!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

david

thanks for the replies everyone. :lol: i'm leaving in a couple of hours to go check it out... so i'll let you know how it goes. i may end up returning home with two more tanks! :hyper: (my mother is going to kill me...)

okay, so here's the scoop:

the 55 gallon was evidently used for a lizard or snake of some kind... so it's set up as a reptile habitat, but that's nothing we can't fix. :p keeping my fingers crossed that it comes with the light. it would be a real pain to have to go buy one. the guy said his room mate owns the tanks so he would have to ask him on monday.

anyhow, the 39 gallon is in good shape... has a light and all that good stuff. i felt awful, though, because there was only one fish in the entire tank... and a zebra danio at that! hopefully, the guy will let me take the danio along with everything else so that he can happily school with my other danios.

both tanks are rather dirty, but nothing a little elbow grease can't fix up... and for the whole setup (tanks AND stands), $100 is quite a bargain!!!

so my current plan is as follows: i will take my few tropical community fish out of the 55G i currently have and place them in the 39G. i will then set up my 55G to house my jack dempsey. if the other 55G comes with a light and filter and such, i will use it as an additional fish tank. if not, i will probably end up making it a home for my sisters leopard geckos, as i think they would definitely appreciate the space!!! or, i could give my tank to my guineas. either way, it will serve a good purpose. :)

all in all, i am QUITE excited about these new additions!!! :D

Be careful putting small furry pets in aquariums, as the venilation isn't as good as a wire cage (even with a wire top), so ammonia builds up much quicker and can cause the furry ones to get sick and even die eventually. You would have to clean the cage out just about every day to keep from causing health problems. Also make sure you never ever use cedar or pine bedding (though aspen is ok). :good:

(Sorry if this is considered off topic, but it is worth saying. ;) )

I think another fish tank would be more exciting anyway! :lol:

Be careful putting small furry pets in aquariums, as the venilation isn't as good as a wire cage (even with a wire top), so ammonia builds up much quicker and can cause the furry ones to get sick and even die eventually. You would have to clean the cage out just about every day to keep from causing health problems. Also make sure you never ever use cedar or pine bedding (though aspen is ok). :good:

definitely well aware of those risks... *has owned small furries since she was born* chances are, it will be for the geckos or for fishies... but if all else fails, i could definitely use some more room for my piggies. and i will be very careful about ventalation. :nod:

cedar and pine bedding is awful. i don't know why they even make it anymore. i work at petsmart and have to lecture people daily about not using it. :grr:

definitely well aware of those risks... *has owned small furries since she was born* chances are, it will be for the geckos or for fishies... but if all else fails, i could definitely use some more room for my piggies. and i will be very careful about ventalation. :nod:

cedar and pine bedding is awful. i don't know why they even make it anymore. i work at petsmart and have to lecture people daily about not using it. :grr:

I am SO glad to find someone who has furries and actually knows what they are doing. So many people seem suprised when I tell them not to use cedar bedding. :/

(I hope you weren't offended by my telling you, as most people don't know, so... :X )

Most reactions

Back