snails

pumaf1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hello guys

as some of you know I have been setting up a tank via fishless cycling.
the problem is some sneaky ******** have gotten into the tank - snails theres on about 5mm and the rest are sooooooo small you really have to look, now do I remvoed them or what?

and were the ********* did they come from?

do you have live plants?

where did you substrate come from?

Did you use any media from another tank?

Snails can be very good at cleaning the tank, so some people keep them. They can reproduce VERY quickly though. But they only reproduce according to how much food there is, so if you don't overfeed, and clean your gravel well, you could just have a few snails.

It's up to you, basically...

Personally I would get rid of them, they just get the tank more dirty than they get it clean.

LoachLover said:
Personally I would get rid of them, they just get the tank more dirty than they get it clean.
Me too. Snails that hitchhike into your tank are usually common pond snails. They will reproduce like mad, and eat your plants. If you can remove them without using chemicals, then thats best - see the pinned post by william in the invertebrates forum on pest snails.

Some snails are good and are even reccomended by some, pomacea bridgisii eat algea and waste fish food = good. Malaysian trumpet snails, will clean and turnover sand and fine gravel = good.

Jon

just about any kind of botia loach will eat them up really fast, not to mentions loaches are awesome anyway ;)

just about any kind of botia loach will eat them up really fast, not to mentions loaches are awesome anyway

i second that! I just got 3 zebra loaches and they've eaten loads of my snails and they look fantastic.

If anything though I would hand pick the snails out just to help keep the numbers down.

Sam

houndour said:
If anything though I would hand pick the snails out just to help keep the numbers down.
And send them to me, I now have four species of puffer and they LOVE snails :p

Jon

LoachLover said:
just about any kind of botia loach will eat them up really fast, not to mentions loaches are awesome anyway ;)
They are awesome, any loach is awesome.

FrAnK3333 said:
LoachLover said:
They are awesome, any loach is awesome.
I won't argue with that one :lol:

Loaches are really a awesome fish.

Most reactions

Back