Snails

nuthead

Reaction score
SNAIL ARE VERY ANOINING GET RID OF THE ONE THEN MORE SPAWN ARRRRRRRRRR :angry: :angry:

there is many ways to get rid of them though. i had an infestation from plants brought at pets at home. 1 snail turned in to about 60 in the space of a few weeks. so i got assassin snails and did the lettuce thing and now i have none!

i have a very large snail, and a few small ones kicking around, and dont mind them as they keep the glass clean and my betta loves hunting the newly hatched eggs/baby snails in the moss. He loves them, also i think he picks up a bonus cherry shrimp while in their the cheeky chap!

But befor i had the betta in the tank i would see alot of 1-2mm snails all over, 2 weeks in i cannot spot a single one.... and he is really fat.

Snails also love algae place one in and they will gather to it.

A big rise in snail populations may also indicate that there is 'stuff' in the tank for them to eat, such as excess food or decaying matter. Try feeding your fish less and look for any debris in the tank if you think this might be your case. I'd do a combination of vegetable 'traps' (eg the cucumber trick), manual removal and food reduction. If you want some assassin snails may also help and I don't think, if I remember rightly, that they're a type that you're likely to get a population 'explosion' with. I've done a mix of these for my own snail issue and it seemed to work well for me.

If you are certain that you will never want any invertebrates in that container from now on, use a copper solution. It will kill all snails and will leave your fish unharmed as long as you pay attention to the dosage. The dosage is critical. Too much and it will kill your fish, too little and the snails will live. A correct dose will rid you of all snails and not harm your fish. After the control has been used, you can forget, forever, keeping shrimps in that container. It was once said that you could control snails for 2 cents. Put 2 of the 1 cent coins in your filter and all snails would die. These days a 1 cent coin contains tons of zinc and almost no copper so it no longer works but the 2 cent cure worked out great for many of us back in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

I recommend assassin snails. They're pretty and they really do the trick in completely getting rid of pest snails.

I have a single tiger snail and never had any eggs or little ones. I don't think they can without a mate. But he sure does clean well lol.

The old copper pennies are still plenty common just look for the ones before 1982. I have never heard of that trick but it would be really cheap to try it out.

Most reactions

Back