Snails

eowyn

Reaction score
How do I get rid of snails? I bought a plant from my LFS; rinsed it well; and now a week later I have three snails in my tank. I'd rather not have these tiny things multiplying like crazy. I can't use salt becasue I have cories. Any suggestions? Thanks.

How do I get rid of snails? I bought a plant from my LFS; rinsed it well; and now a week later I have three snails in my tank. I'd rather not have these tiny things multiplying like crazy. I can't use salt becasue I have cories. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I had the same problem but fortunately i was in a fishless cycle so easier to sort out.

How big is your tank? have you thought about getting some loaches to eat them? this is probably the best and most effective way as well as being a necessary dietry supplement for these species of fish.

With fish already in the tank I would recommend against using any form of copper sulphate to eliminate them. You could put a piece of vegetable matter (cucumber or lettuce) into the tank (weighted down) turn off the lights at night time and wait a couple of hours then remove the veg with the snails happily munching on it. Repeat this for a week or so and you should get the majority of them.

reduce the amount and frequency of feeding as well as this will reduce the amount of food available for the little rascals!!

hope you sort it...

Phil

Take them out.

Salt is probably not going to be a good solution anyway for snail combat. Most suggest putting in cucumber/corugette (sp?) for a while then removing it with any snails on it. They really will reproduce when there is an abundance of food. Cutting back on feeding can reduce their numbers.

There are also some snail eating fish, but it really depends on your stocking and tank size (i.e., do not get clown loaches for snail removal unless you have a 100gal+ tank)

Take them out.

Salt is probably not going to be a good solution anyway for snail combat. Most suggest putting in cucumber/corugette (sp?) for a while then removing it with any snails on it. They really will reproduce when there is an abundance of food. Cutting back on feeding can reduce their numbers.

There are also some snail eating fish, but it really depends on your stocking and tank size (i.e., do not get clown loaches for snail removal unless you have a 100gal+ tank)

do clown loaches eat malaysian trumpet snail adults and/or babies?? i was told by my lfs yes but have read conflicting info on here!

sorry for the thread hijack! i use traps for my snails that gets rid of most of them.... i have also cut down feeding and just use traps couple of times a week. the traps are called jbl limcollect and you can put fish food pellets or tablets in them.

hi,
i bought 2 dwarf puffers when i had a snail attack!
they worked wonderfully and are cute little beggers!!
just gotta feed em blood worm.

tiny fish but they pack a punch! :0)

Tank is 16 gal. I have 2 albino cories and 5 glowlight tetras. I'll put in a piece of lettuce tonight to lure them out. Are dwark puffers compatible with my set up? I'll buy a fish to eat the little buggers...just don't know what to get.

well i had a small tank with neons, danios and corys and the puffers caused no problems at all.
and they have sooooooo much character!!!! :0)

i have however just read that they can be a bit nasty with other fish, but that isn`t my expierience of them!

Most reactions

Back