Snails

Andrew G

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently added 5 mature snails (about 3 weeks ago) to my 20 gal and now I'm noticing small white dots all over the substrate sufrace.
What are these things?

At first I thought they were eggs from my fish, but after spotting so many (I lost count), I'm not sure that's the case.

how fast do snails multiply : how fast can you count?
the eggs could be either snails or fishes.
but usally snails will either have live young or have clusters of eggs. it would help if the species of snail was known

Snails often breed faster than you can pick them out, especially the little common pest snails. I believe tiger barbs and most tetras are egg scatterers, or lay in a spawning mop, so you could have fish eggs in there. Do they look like blobs of jelly, or are they like round distinct eggs. Apart from putting the snails in, what's your feeding regime like, and have you done a water change recently, especially a cool one that dropped the temp in the tank? That always works for my cory's.

People talk about rabbits being fast but snails put rabbits to shame when it come to reproducing. If you overfeed you can literally go from just a few to having your tank overrun with them in a matter of weeks.

Snails often breed faster than you can pick them out, especially the little common pest snails. I believe tiger barbs and most tetras are egg scatterers, or lay in a spawning mop, so you could have fish eggs in there. Do they look like blobs of jelly, or are they like round distinct eggs. Apart from putting the snails in, what's your feeding regime like, and have you done a water change recently, especially a cool one that dropped the temp in the tank? That always works for my cory's.

They look like round distinct eggs. I feed every other day (sparingly). I did a water change about 3 days ago (20%). The temp is always a constant 78F.

Here are some photos of the snails and the "eggs"
Snails:
snails-343x243.jpg

"Eggs": (The little white dots at the lower half of the photo).
eggs-345x234.jpg

Ok from the pics, they kind of look like fish eggs. In my experience, if you have egg laying snails, they leave a clutch of eggs in what looks like jelly. I would guess if they are fish eggs, any that hatch into fry will be picked off by the tiger barbs and tetras, but it shows you are doing something right with your fish, well done!

Most reactions

Back