Snails Snails Everywhere.......

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chrisrm

Fish Addict
Reaction score
If i were to remove the fish and crank the co2 up it would gas the snails but my question is would it have a negative effect on the bacteria in the filter?

I need to get rid of these things haha

Check out some suitable pest snail killer the likes of eSHa Gastropex. Attempting to O/D with Co2 will prove to be ineffective.
smile.png

IMHO think Co2 won't really work in getting rid of snails.

Much better off with humane snail traps.

Or Assassin snails, or if tank large enough, Loaches, puffers etc will all help control snail numbers.

Oh, and don't overfeed that helps to encourage snails to breed more if an abundant food supply is around. 

i only ever feed every other day

its only a 30l nano which i want to put shrimp in so was worried that snail killer would not be safe?

Would a trap be effective in a heavily planted tank?

My 20l nano tank was overrun by snails sometime back. I added 2 adult assassin snails which luckily turned out to be a male and female and also bred. My tank is now clean of the other snails.

It should also be noted that while assassin snails breed in numbers they are much easier to pick by hand and remove. I suggest you add assassin snails and watch.

You can, as Ch4rlie has suggested try adding loaches which should help clean up the tank but that might take time. However loaches with shrimps is not a good idea at all.

Last but not the least my experience is that the assassin snails live peacefully with the RC shrimps as I have those in the tank as well.

Snail traps would be effective in reducing the amount of snails but will never eliminate them so it will be an on-going "remedy" plus these snail traps are pretty unsightly to be put in something you want to look as nice and natural as you can get it, eSHa Gastropex won't be an issue if you intend to add shrimp later on down the line, treat, do water change regularly and add carbon to remove treatments just as you'd do if wanting to remove medications before introducing those shrimp.

Take an empty water bottle, cut the top off.  Piece of lettuce or other vegetable matter in the microwave for 30 seconds, put that in the bottom of the bottle, put the top in backwards.  Snails will be drawn to the lettuce, and can't get back out.  You may have to do this several times, replacing the lettuce, to get them all out.

Put it in at night, remove in the morning.

You can also try OLD pennies, they have a high copper content.  New pennies won't work.

Attachments

• snail trap.jpg
    snail trap.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 80
I was going to suggest purchasing a species of loach that would eat all the pest snails, however since you have stated that it is only a 30l nano aquarium i would suggest finding a suitable snail killer that wont affect any shrimp or consider one of the snail traps. Personally i like the look of the bottle one, might give it a go myself and see if it could get rid of some of the snails in my tank :)

Right i just dosed with Gastropex..... lets see what happens!!
devil.gif

Don't forget that as they die they will decompose if not removed, so it would be a good idea to be extra vigilant with your water tests as ammonia spikes may result, and so an increase water change volumes and frequency would be well advised.
smile.png

It Seems to had little if any effect at all really! I dosed as per the instructions but 4 days later the snails are still thriving! should i re dose?

You're best following the instructions, if that doesn't work then try another product.

Most reactions

Back