snails, and aggressive shark

georgia

Reaction score
we've just got home after 3 weeks away, having left the safekeeping of our fish with a relative. fish are all fine, but the tank seems to be over-run with snails. is there a good way of getting rid of them or is it just a question of picking them out when we do a water change?

also, we've noticed that the red-tailed shark has grown a bit (none of the others seem to have done) and is being quite aggressive - we've seen him chasing both the gouramis and the mollies. what can be done about this? is it going to cause stress to the other fish?

thanks in advance
georgia

Not had much experience with snails so can't help with that, sorry. Someone will come along and answer it though, i'm sure.

Your RTBS is a very aggressive fish and is probably just establishing his territory. Things will most likely settle down but keep an eye on them as being chased persistently will stress the other fish. I have a RTBS and he did calm down eventually when he'd established his territory and is now fine with all his tankmates. :)

Hope this helps!

georgia said:
we've just got home after 3 weeks away, having left the safekeeping of our fish with a relative. fish are all fine, but the tank seems to be over-run with snails. is there a good way of getting rid of them or is it just a question of picking them out when we do a water change?
Hi :) ,

PLace a lettuce leaf at the bottom of your tank before you go to bed tonight.

When you wake in the morning the snails will be all over it and you can just pick them out all in one go :thumbs: .

steve

thebaldranger said:
georgia said:
Hi :) ,

PLace a lettuce leaf at the bottom of your tank before you go to bed tonight.

When you wake in the morning the snails will be all over it and you can just pick them out all in one go :thumbs: .

steve
That's the theory anyway! I had a tank over run with snails & put a lettuce leaf in, they won't all go to it but if you keep it up over a period of time they will slowly die down a bit. Be careful as snails breed like wild fire. My tank eventually got so out of control that i had to totally clear the tank out & put the fish in another tank whilst i went through the cycle process again! On the other hand you may find certain treatments available at your lfs that might help your situation!

Sorry, i'm not always this negative.... i just hate snails!

Kaz x-x-x-x-x

Yes give the rtbs time to establish his territory, once that is done he should calm down (or at least the others will stay away from his territory) i had the same problem with my RTBS and Tin foil Barbs, who have since doubled the size of the RTBS, but he still remains the king of the tank (kinda funny watchin the 6 inch RTBS chase around 3 big tin foil barbs at feeding time) :lol:

I have had a bad experience with my RTBS and recently gave it to my local pet shop because he wash chasing my betta and injured my guppy :(

Most reactions

Back