Snail Question?

antinator

Reaction score
Ok now I've seen a lot of you keep snails I'm just wondering what variety is best for a biorb 60? Also what is the pros and cons od owning a snail? Can I also ask the same questions about owning a shrimp,

Ok now I've seen a lot of you keep snails I'm just wondering what variety is best for a biorb 60? Also what is the pros and cons od owning a snail? Can I also ask the same questions about owning a shrimp,

With shrimp your choice of other fish lessens as many fish can eat them, can also be the same with snails but not as bad.
Snails if they breed you will be overloaded with them, also with shrimp, but you could always give them to your LFS or try to sell them.
Also you have to be careful with adding meds, as some can injure/kill them :(

With both they come in a variety of colours and look lovely.
Also you can put many of them in a tank and they won't take up too much space.
They also do a pretty good job of keeping it clean.

Any suggestions of a easy to keep snail that looks gorgus? Also my tank stock is 3 neon tetras, 2 sail fin tetras 1 danio

Apple snails are always popular. You can get them in a varierty of different colours too.

+1 for apple snail, you can get them in a range of colours, won't become a pest, and will be fine with the fish you have already (although tetras and danios do need to be in larger groups than you currently have).

I know they are in small numbers the danio seems to swim around quite happy by himself, why is it the need more? As they all seem happy swimming away

Those fish, in the wild, swim in shoals of thousands. It's very hard to prove absolutely, but the hypothisis is that unless there are more fish of their own kind around, the fish may be suffering from constant low level stress. He's basically swimming round wondering where everyone else is, and in the wild that would mean he could be picked off by a predator, or that all the other fish have sensed some danger and swum away.

How can we tell whether a fish is 'happy' just by looking? It's impossible really; we just have to try and understand the life the fish evolved to have and give it those conditions. Keeping shoaling fish alone is, while not 'cruel', not really fair to it.

I know they are in small numbers the danio seems to swim around quite happy by himself, why is it the need more? As they all seem happy swimming away

With respect, you cannot possibly tell whether a fish is happy or sad on the basis that it is swimming around anyway. Both tetras and danios naturally shoal in the wild, it is normal behaviour for them. Upping the numbers would make them feel far more secure and 'happier'.

You cannot measure the happiness of a fish just because its swimming antinator. A danio along with the neons and I'm assuming the tetra too (I've never kept the sail fins but its usually the way with a tetra) need to be in groups of 6+ per species. Neons I would increase the numbers to double figures at least though. Although I'm not sure what the correct stocking would be for your size of tank.

I read somewhere on this forum recently that the guidelines for danio's was a minimum of a 3ft tank, although you may want more advice from someone who is more experienced as I only read this and I don't know how accurate that information is.

If you even upper the tetra numbers to 5 and the danios to 3, that would be instantly better. Far less than ideal, but better for your fishes. Safety in numbers, as far as they're concerned, and only you can provide that for them.

I read somewhere on this forum recently that the guidelines for danio's was a minimum of a 3ft tank, although you may want more advice from someone who is more experienced as I only read this and I don't know how accurate that information is.

As with many things in fishkeeping (it is an art as well as a science!), I don't think there's any conclusive evidence for this, but most of us who have been keeping fish for a lot of years get a 'feel' for what kind of conditions are 'best' for fish and keep them 'happiest'.

This includes the amount of fish for a shoal; I know me and KittyKat and probably most others go way beyond the oft quoted six and would recommend at least 12; certainly in my experience the tipping point into what I would consider natural behaviour of a shoaling fish happens somewhere between 12 and 20.

Tank size for danios (and some other fish, like silvertip tetras) is a similar thing; yes, they are small fish, but they are incredibly active; I certainly would never consider keeping them in anything less that a three foot tank long term. There are lots of other fish that, while of the same physical size, just don't appear to need the same amount of space to dash about in; celestial pearl danios and green neons, for instance, I'd be happy to put in a two footer, and maybe even in something like a Biorb.

So basically my stocks are completely wrong, DOH! Its so hard to find a correct stock for a biorb :( I only went for it because it looks nice and finishes off my living room far better then any large rectangular tank, the problem I have is my tanks only 60l so adding 10 + tetra will be my full stock and thus giving me no variety if anybody has a good itea of a stock for a 60l biorb please let me know :D thanks!

If I was you, I'd persuade the LFS to take back the danio and the 'sail fin tetras' (I have no idea what they are) and up the number of neons to 12. Variety in a tank is overrated IMO; a larger shoal of one species looks far more effective. Then I'd have an apple snail and some shrimp.

*Edit; just googled the sail fin tetra; they get a bit big for a Biorb, the neons would be best.

So going by the 1cm rule how many tetras can I get? Do the shole with differnt colours or will I have to stick with all neon blue?

If I was you, I'd persuade the LFS to take back the danio and the 'sail fin tetras' (I have no idea what they are) and up the number of neons to 12. Variety in a tank is overrated IMO; a larger shoal of one species looks far more effective. Then I'd have an apple snail and some shrimp.

+1.

I thought it was all about the number of species I could get into one tank. After seeing other peoples tanks a long time ago I can completely agree to fluttermoth. Have a look at some of the pictures of peoples tanks on here.

Most reactions

Back