Snail Invasion

I hate snails

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have had tropical fish now for 3 years but I have my first real emergency. I have been invaded by these horrible snails that are out numbering my fish by about 10 to 1. They appeared about 3 weeks ago but I thought the fish would get rid of them - now the fish are so scared of them they are not eating.

Any ideas what these snails are (I read they could be trumpet snails) and more importantly how do I get shot of them. I am thinking of emptying all gravel and starting again but would appreciate an easier option.

Please help as my girlfriend is not happy as my tank is in the bedroom - this is an emergency!!

What do they look like? You're being so generic and vague there's no way to help you. Did you add plants to the tank? Any kind of decorations or ornaments from another tank?

There is a fish that you can buy that does eat them not sure of the name though. also put a piece of lettuce on the gravel and put a pebble to hold it down let it set there over night when you look at it in the morning there should be a bunch of snails on it. (this wont get rid of them but it will control them)

Figure Eight Puffer will eat snails, but they are fin nippers.

If they are Malaysians then their shell might be too hard for those fish to eat. Loaches often eat snails as well but they and Puffers might not be able to eat a MST.

well it farily simple on what to do by 3-4 clown loachs or pakistaini loachs they luv snail and they will eat most off them if they are trumpith snails they burrin in the grael so you would have 2 buy anti-snail and good aqurium should have this it cost 2-4 punds

Attachments

• c15.jpg
    c15.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 105
schzaam said:
well it farily simple on what to do by 3-4 clown loachs or pakistaini loachs they luv snail and they will eat most off them if they are trumpith snails they burrin in the grael so you would have 2 buy anti-snail and good aqurium should have this it cost 2-4 punds
schzaam... why did you attach a photo of a half naked woman?

heresmike said:
schzaam said:
schzaam... why did you attach a photo of a half naked woman?
Yeah I'm a little curious about it as well. I know that christina used to be decent to look at doesn't have much to do with snails.

I'm not sure what they are but I can tell you how to get rid of them if that helps .... first you take a camera film case and drill holls in it just big enough for the snails to get in, then put some lettice or cucumber inside the case and shut the cap. Leave over night and loads of snails go inside the case, get confused and trapped. All you need to do then is take the case out and the snails will be inside. If you have loads of snails you may want to try this a few times. Just don't forget to take it out of the water again in the morning as the lettice will go bad.

I don't get snail problems any more as my Clown Loach eats them all :)

Most reactions

Back