Snail infestation

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I had a picture and video of my assassin "eating" a pellet once. After seeing how they operate, I wouldn't consider him a threat to ANY other tank inhabitant that's faster or bigger than him. Only exception to that would be their ability to stalk and coordinate attacks on bigger snails, but while remarkable, that entails having at least 3 of them (assassins) and them being hungry enough to have to coordinate amongst themselves to track and try to gang up on bigger snails instead of their usual way of operating, which is hiding under the substrate (if soft enough, like sand) or standing still on pebbles or gravel substrate to literally latch on to and literally suck the life out of the pest snails

I had a picture and video of my assassin "eating" a pellet once. After seeing how they operate, I wouldn't consider him a threat to ANY other tank inhabitant that's faster or bigger than him. Only exception to that would be their ability to stalk and coordinate attacks on bigger snails, but while remarkable, that entails having at least 3 of them (assassins) and them being hungry enough to have to coordinate amongst themselves to track and try to gang up on bigger snails instead of their usual way of operating, which is hiding under the substrate (if soft enough, like sand) or standing still on pebbles or gravel substrate to literally latch on to and literally suck the life out of the pest snails
Thanks, they do sound a good option to control these pest snails I have!

Assassin snails are "stealth" predators, that is why they do best in a sandy substrate...they burrow just enough to cover themselves, and wait for another passing (pest) snail to happen by... then they emerge, and pounce (very slowly)

As far as "chasing down" anything faster (and bigger) than them, it doesn't happen...it's not necessary for them to thrive

BUT, like all snails, they are scavengers, as well...and will happily devour any animal in the tank that has died...fish, shrimp, larger snails, etc

Assassin snails are "stealth" predators, that is why they do best in a sandy substrate...they burrow just enough to cover themselves, and wait for another passing (pest) snail to happen by... then they emerge, and pounce (very slowly)
Yep, this. they "pounce" as fast as that sloth from zootopia 🤣

Most reactions

Back