Snail infestation

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jenny32

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I have lots and lots of small snails like the one in the photo. I think I can get them out by using a lettuce leaf or something like that. But my question is, is there a humane way to deal with them? I'd feel bad killing them! :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220415_132937.jpg
    20220415_132937.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 26
Hi, I have lots and lots of small snails like the one in the photo. I think I can get them out by using a lettuce leaf or something like that. But my question is, is there a humane way to deal with them? I'd feel bad killing them! :)

Thanks!
Get assassin snails, and let THEM kill them?

I have an army of Assassins in my aquarium

Never seen the blighters once...but as above, I do have neat piles of empty snail shells scattered here and there...

Thanks!
Manually removing them is usually the best option, that way you don't have to deal with all the empty shells in the tank.

If you feel bad just throwing them away, maybe try giving them to your LFS? Most of the time they have more than enough "pest" snails, but you never know.

Thanks!
Hello Jenny...

Having a lot of snails in the tank generally means you're feeding your fish too much. Uneaten food falls to the bottom of the tank and is eaten by the snails. If the snails get enough food, they'll reproduce quickly. I keep a separate tank for anything that I have a lot of like plants or even snails. Iceberg lettuce will attract them and then you can put the lettuce in the the extra tank. This way, you don't need to kill them.

Hello Jenny...

Having a lot of snails in the tank generally means you're feeding your fish too much. Uneaten food falls to the bottom of the tank and is eaten by the snails. If the snails get enough food, they'll reproduce quickly. I keep a separate tank for anything that I have a lot of like plants or even snails. Iceberg lettuce will attract them and then you can put the lettuce in the the extra tank. This way, you don't need to kill them.

Yeah I have tried to cut down the food a bit, but there always seem to be bits the fish miss. But certainly going to keep trying. Thanks

Another tank is a good idea but not sure it is practical for us at the moment.

I fo have amano shrimp so would be worried the assassin snails could eventually go for them?

I fo have amano shrimp so would be worried the assassin snails could eventually go for them?
The shrimp are too quick to be caught by the assassin. Despite its ominous name it's more of a slow leech, tbh; it stalks (and often misses) pest snails trudging right onside itself, and it needs significant time to eat its intended meal.

The shrimp are too quick to be caught by the assassin. Despite its ominous name it's more of a slow leech, tbh; it stalks (and often misses) pest snails trudging right onside itself, and it needs significant time to eat its intended meal.
Thanks, thats what I assumed too, it was only when doing a google search I started to worry, but I guess if you search for anything on the internet you'll always find something.

Most reactions

Back