Slate As Tank Decoration

jax13

Reaction score
Can I use any slate as tank decoration? I have some old slate roof tiles I would like to use to make a 'henge' in my tank as it is only planted (albeit pretty heavily) at the moment and I think the fish need somewhere sheltered to hide as the platys seem to be hiding behind the filter.

Can I simply use bits of roof slate stacked up (and glued together) to create a couple of hiding places or do I need aquarium safe stuff?

Yes you can but make sure you are using good looking slate with nothing stuck too it. Also give them a really good scrub to get anything off it. Should be fine after that.

Old stuff, properly cleaned, can be better than new stuff. Occasionally slate is closer to shale and can be a bit soft and break down. Good old hard stuff is fine.

The problem with things like roof tiles are partly as Techen suggested, in that you need to get the organics (and pollutants) off them that would just rot underwater and that they tend to look fairly regular (having been originally cut into rectangles) which sometimes breaks up a natural look.

Have roof slate in my tank, just gave it a good boil and scrub first. Growing java moss on mine :)

Most reactions

Back