Singular Fish For Ten Gallons

QuotheRaven

Something smells humany
Reaction score
Today sadly Bob the betta my mothers betta passed away after he has had what i presume was cancer. When we bought him from a tank which was cold water and with 15 goldfish he had a white "scar" on him that did not look fungal and we treated it with fungus treatment but nothing and over the past 8 months it has grown in size but no issue with him, well about 3 weeks ago he began to bloat up but ate with gusto however he about 4 day's ago was struggling to swim and yesterday pretty much wasn't and today he passed away...he has been apart of our fishy family for going on a year-year and a half and has been a very greedy betta I gave him a burial in the backyard.

Following his death there is now a close to empty ten gallon tank with merely a tiny snail that escaped the LFS on a plant...so are there any fish that will go individually in a ten gallon for life and be happy and healthy and not needing to be moved...excluding betta's as my mum doesn't want one following Bob's death. Any help would be great...

yeah like that idea dwarf puffer, loads of character. :)

What are the dimensions of the tank i.e. length, width, height? Are you positive that you only want one fish to occupy the tank?

a green puffer should be good, aka spotted green puffer, but they're brackish, so that's your choice... I also agree with the DP idea, 2 DP's would be fine in a 10gallon

A GSP is going to need something like a 40g long as an adult not a 10g.

dwarf puffer, sparkling gouramie, honey gouramie, dwarf gouramie, bumble bee goby, endlers, Mosquitofish.
or if you are wanting small shoaling fish: small rasboras (spotted),dwarf cories, pygmy hatchets, or even shell dwelling cichlids

Thanks for the suggestions I was thinking a dwarf puffer or shell dwellers the only issue there is availability and price as Shellies are expensive...puffers can be hard to find. Are there any NON-Brackish puffers that go in a ten gallon? and my mum is positive about having one fish although if she cannot decide im thinking I will be getting myself a shell dweller tank.

19 1/2 inches long, 11 1/2 wide and 11 1/2 high...

My mum doesn't want betta's anymore I think she loved Bob so much she doesn't want to replace him...and she doesn't like female betta's

Thanks for the suggestions I was thinking a dwarf puffer or shell dwellers the only issue there is availability and price as Shellies are expensive...puffers can be hard to find. Are there any NON-Brackish puffers that go in a ten gallon? and my mum is positive about having one fish although if she cannot decide im thinking I will be getting myself a shell dweller tank.

19 1/2 inches long, 11 1/2 wide and 11 1/2 high...

Dwarf Puffers are totally freshwater. In a tank that size you could actually have two or three. The only thing to keep in mind is they don't eat flake or dry food - live food is the best, but they do fine off frozen, especially bloodworms.

Most reactions

Back