Siblings having tanks

pica_nuttalli said:
i have a solution for them not doing the lights correctly!! buy light timers at walmart -- they're like 9 bucks.
Yea, but they should be able to turn the lights on and off if they want the responsibilty of fish. :nod: Turning the lights on and off is the least difficult of all the tasks. :p

Plus, if I buy something for their tanks they'll just think I'll just give them everything and fix anything for them.

i thought you could keep 3 dp in a 10 gallon -_- dont get anybody anymore fish unless you want to take care of them by yourself. you should get some plant fertilizers and put it in their tank, so the glass will grow a crapload of algae. if they come running to you to clean it, you should just take the tanks away. if they ask you how to clean it, maybe they can handle fish.

Dorkhedeos said:
i thought you could keep 3 dp in a 10 gallon -_- dont get anybody anymore fish unless you want to take care of them by yourself. you should get some plant fertilizers and put it in their tank, so the glass will grow a crapload of algae. if they come running to you to clean it, you should just take the tanks away. if they ask you how to clean it, maybe they can handle fish.
Haha. :lol: I am thinking about getting rid of all my live plants and replace them with silk ones anyway. They keep dying on me. :rolleyes:

I think it is 5 gallons per DP. :nod:

What would you expect with such a young kid? They're going to be happy watching 2 one inch fishes hiding amongst plants? Why didn't you get your sis some colourful & easy fish to take care of. Mollies, guppies, platies... Those kinda fish.

But it's too late now I guess... -_- Make sure they start taking care of their tanks... Wish I had a 29G when I was 12... :/ If they don't change, take away the tanks. Simple as that...

Raech, just beat it into 'em. If they can't handle taking care of the tanks they shouldn't have them.

And you shouldn't have to be responsible for their pets. If they want them, they clean up after them.

Do your siblings know all the details of fish care? It sounds like their neglect could be a combination of laziness/ignorance (not understanding the ramifications of ignoring their fish.) My parents always made me research like crazy before getting a new pet. Maybe you could do the same for your brother and sister, give them a few websites to read and then quiz them on the info. But in all, I would definently have a talk with them, explain that it's not fair for you to do all the work, and lay out definite chores they have to do for their fish if they want to keep them. (You don't have to be mean, just firm. Explain your position and stand up for yourself!) :nod: And yes, absolutely follow through on any "threats" you make :p . Don't feel guilty, it's only fair!

Discomafia said:
What would you expect with such a young kid? They're going to be happy watching 2 one inch fishes hiding amongst plants? Why didn't you get your sis some colourful & easy fish to take care of. Mollies, guppies, platies... Those kinda fish.

But it's too late now I guess... -_- Make sure they start taking care of their tanks... Wish I had a 29G when I was 12... :/ If they don't change, take away the tanks. Simple as that...
Well they're not THAT young, one is 12 and one is 14. :nod: They are pretty mature for their age, although I guess they lack responsibility. I suggested some mollies, platies, guppies etc. to her but she insisted on the DPs so I gave up and said whatever, your tank your fish do what you want. So she did and she bought them. :nod:

FrisaGirl said:
Do your siblings know all the details of fish care? It sounds like their neglect could be a combination of laziness/ignorance (not understanding the ramifications of ignoring their fish.) My parents always made me research like crazy before getting a new pet. Maybe you could do the same for your brother and sister, give them a few websites to read and then quiz them on the info. But in all, I would definently have a talk with them, explain that it's not fair for you to do all the work, and lay out definite chores they have to do for their fish if they want to keep them. (You don't have to be mean, just firm. Explain your position and stand up for yourself!) :nod: And yes, absolutely follow through on any "threats" you make :p . Don't feel guilty, it's only fair!
I've told them anytime they had a question or needed help they could come on this forum and ask. They are both very computer literate and can type very well and know this site is on the favorites. Hell, they've even been on here before to look at fish pics. :nod: But they just are too "busy" to do anything for their fish I suppose that is their excuse. I've told them time and time again and when I ask them if they fed their fish they will lie and tell me they did, when I know they didn't as I keep all of the food in my room, and I never saw them go in there and get it.

hey, cant blame them though, sometimes i get lazy and dont do a water change for like a month cause the water doesnt look dirty, when it starts to turn yellow, i do a water change. i have spring break right now, maybe i can try to think of something to make cleaning the tank easier

Raechal said:
pica_nuttalli said:
i have a solution for them not doing the lights correctly!! buy light timers at walmart -- they're like 9 bucks.
Yea, but they should be able to turn the lights on and off if they want the responsibilty of fish. :nod: Turning the lights on and off is the least difficult of all the tasks. :p

Plus, if I buy something for their tanks they'll just think I'll just give them everything and fix anything for them.
Good point about not wanting to buy them, but you could suggest to them the idea of buying the timer themselves. I LOVED having my light on a timer, that way I knew that even if I wasn't home at the same time, or I went to bed early, etc. my fishies would always get their "alotted" light time.

I give you a lot of credit though for trying with them! Seems like a lot of work.

Oh... if you sell the tanks and can't find a home for the DPs you could sell the whole set-up, DPs and all. Just put up a flyer at the lfs maybe, to make sure you get someone who knows what they're doing.

Good luck!

Talk to them. They're about the same age as me, and I manage to look after my tanks. Even if I did do my back in today..... but thats another story. If they still won't listen, threaten to take them away / sell them. It works on my little sis- 'Stop playing that recorder or I'll put it in my toybox and put the fish tank on top of it!!!'

I have to ask: do they know how to clean a tank? I am guessing that they do since you are expecting them to clean them, so maybe a different approach would be to setup a schedule for them. That way they have a visual reminder. I am not talking about marking a day on the calendar that they must clean the tank. Just something that they can check off after cleaning the tank that week, or however often you want them to do it (I think you might be happy with a month ;) ). Also, maybe you can show them how to clean the tank efficiently. Showing them some "short-cuts" that you have found in cleaning five tanks might help. It sounds like they are finding the fish to be an annoying chore that they don't want to deal with anymore.

As for the feeding, it might help to remind them if they had their own food. Having the food in sight somewhere around the tank might help them to remember to feed them.

They are early teenagers and no one at that age is going to remember everything. Especially if it is something that they didn't gain their own interest in but found that they liked it because they saw their sister's (who started her own interest in it) tanks. It goes against what most other people here are telling you but I don't think threatening them with taking the tanks away is the best way to come across to them, especially to your sister that isn't even interested in the DP's anymore. Maybe you should ask if they actually still want the tanks and if not then maybe you should try and find a way to sell them.

P.S. I don't really see how grounding them is going to make them enjoy the fish any more. I realize they need to take responsibility in choosing to use the tanks and fish, but making them dislike taking care of fish isn't going to solve anything.

Ultimately you should make them do the maintenance. What I found useful with those 10 gallon tanks with incadescent hoods is to replace the incadescent bulbs with two low wattage (7 or 13W) flourescent lights that can be screwed into incadescent sockets. It reduces the total energy released from your light fixture. It isn't safe to put just 1 bulb in those; water could short out the exposed socket. But, you can wait untill one incadescent bulb burns out and then just put it in the socket and use a flourescent bulb in the other if the puffers don't like the light.

I'm around the same age(but a little older :rolleyes:), and I keep over 10 tanks! I clean them every week, plus I have 5 horses to work, soon to be 6 :S! I have a lot of homework every night(2+ hours), but I still do it. My fish are always fed, medicated, etc. when they need it. If your siblings are not going to take care of their fish, don't beat around the bushes, take their privelidge of the aquariums away :fish:! I'm not trying to be mean, but get them off their butts and make them care properly for their fish :/! If they don't, take the aquariums away and sell them. Again, I'm not being mean, I'm being truthful. Tell them what will happen to their fish if they don't care for them, get mean :grr:(lol)! Hope this helps some :D!

rarefish

dartos said:
I have to ask: do they know how to clean a tank? I am guessing that they do since you are expecting them to clean them, so maybe a different approach would be to setup a schedule for them. That way they have a visual reminder. I am not talking about marking a day on the calendar that they must clean the tank. Just something that they can check off after cleaning the tank that week, or however often you want them to do it (I think you might be happy with a month ;) ). Also, maybe you can show them how to clean the tank efficiently. Showing them some "short-cuts" that you have found in cleaning five tanks might help. It sounds like they are finding the fish to be an annoying chore that they don't want to deal with anymore.

As for the feeding, it might help to remind them if they had their own food. Having the food in sight somewhere around the tank might help them to remember to feed them.

They are early teenagers and no one at that age is going to remember everything. Especially if it is something that they didn't gain their own interest in but found that they liked it because they saw their sister's (who started her own interest in it) tanks. It goes against what most other people here are telling you but I don't think threatening them with taking the tanks away is the best way to come across to them, especially to your sister that isn't even interested in the DP's anymore. Maybe you should ask if they actually still want the tanks and if not then maybe you should try and find a way to sell them.

P.S. I don't really see how grounding them is going to make them enjoy the fish any more. I realize they need to take responsibility in choosing to use the tanks and fish, but making them dislike taking care of fish isn't going to solve anything.
i totally agree with this. i think the key thing to remember is that you're their big sister, not their mom. you can't expect them to accept your total authority, 'cause it ain't gonna happen.

giving them their own food to use is a good plan. i know that i always just use what's at hand when i feed -- its such a pain to have to walk all over the house!

i guess what's really the issue here is the difference between "hobbyists" and "enthusiasts". your siblings see fish as an interesting and attractive thing to fiddle with. we board members see fish as fascinating creatures that merit hours of discussion and arguement. obviously, there are different levels of commitment at work here... :p

Most reactions

Back