Siamese Fighting Fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

M4R13Y

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello,
are Siamese fighting fish worth keeping or do they need special care?

also how easy are they to breed?

Thanks
M4R13Y

Siamese fighting fish (Bettas) are awesome fish, they don't require any special care and, in my opinion, have the most personality out of most fish in the hobby. They require a minimum of 5 gallons, they neeeeeed a filter (as do all fish), they don't like strong water currents, and they can't be in the same tank with another fighter fish (male or female). Similarly to most fish, they would benefit from the occasional feed of live/frozen food.:good:

Could you keep one male and one female together or are they hard to breed

Hello,
are Siamese fighting fish worth keeping or do they need special care?

also how easy are they to breed?

Thanks
M4R13Y

As far as breeding, I wouldn't do that unless you're very experienced with bettas. From what I hear it definitely isn't easy, and a lot of work and time is involved..

From my recent experience; Platy's. I got 4 about a week ago, one has had babies and another two are pregnant! If they don't come pregnant from the shop then they soon will be!

Don't put Bettas out of your mind though, they are very easy to care for and really do have a lot of character :)

Agreed. Bettas are great :)
You could breed guppys! They have great color, much like a betta and are very easy to breed!

Actually I kept my platy's and molly's (Another fish VERY easy to breed) with my Betta Tony! I added Tony first then I got the platy's and molly's, but from what I've read lately I was very lucky to have had Tony not attack the platy's having added them after Tony established his territory. They all have very indiviual personalities, and I love it! Tony was very laid back and didn't care when there were millions of fry in his tank, he had the occasional snack but I always had plenty of fry to give away and to raise.
So if you are looking to have a Betta and a fish to breed then I'd say both are do-able. Even in the same tank! Just because you won't get to know your betta right away, if that's the road you choose to take, then I'd say get the platties first, then add your Betta!
Best of luck :)

betta are probably what you would consider hard to breed. you have to prepare them physically and mentally. you have to give them a different diet and 'introduce' the male to the female and then have to worry about losing fry.

mollies are an attractive fish and live bearers. they carry their spawn inside and give birth to them. you then probably want to separate the fry so they dont get eaten. it takes a long time
for them to grow.

most mollies are already pregnant when you get them from the pet store. you can tell the males from the females by the fin on their underside. the male's fin is rolled up usually while the female's is fanned out.
http://i.imgur.com/S8hS1.jpg

my mollies all have different faces and gold/silver markings so i can tell them all apart.
they have a good personality but you need to keep them in small groups. one mollie alone would get lonely and stressed.

Most reactions

Back