Siamese Algae Eaters With Tangs?

14gtr14

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm looking for an algae eater in my tang tank. Plecs are an option ( BN clown golden nugget etc etc), but what else? Would SAEs be ok, or flying foxes? (large ones obviously though)

Greg

EDIT- Also, would large Tiger Barbs live happily in there too?

Fish in tanks just now- 2 L. Leleupi, 3 L. Ocellatus and one Julidochromis Regani. (45 gallon)

I don't know a lot about tang cichlids but SAEs are very peaceful schooling fish and won't do well with aggressive tankmates. They also really need to be in a planted tank.
As for flying foxes - these aren't really great algae eaters and, being sharks, don't tolerate each other particularly well. Just one wouldn't be much good for algae cleaning. The alternative is a large group to spread out aggression but then you risk overstocking and they are still not guaranteed to do a good algae-eating job. They also, idealy, like a planted tank and quite peaceful tankmates.

I'd go for the bristlenose personaly. Having said that, I find algae scrapers are a better treatment - that and adressing the actual cause of the algae in the first place.

I don't know a lot about tang cichlids but SAEs are very peaceful schooling fish and won't do well with aggressive tankmates. They also really need to be in a planted tank.
As for flying foxes - these aren't really great algae eaters and, being sharks, don't tolerate each other particularly well. Just one wouldn't be much good for algae cleaning. The alternative is a large group to spread out aggression but then you risk overstocking and they are still not guaranteed to do a good algae-eating job. They also, idealy, like a planted tank and quite peaceful tankmates.

I'd go for the bristlenose personaly. Having said that, I find algae scrapers are a better treatment - that and adressing the actual cause of the algae in the first place.

Basically everything I thought, tank is quite planted though - vallisneria nana, anubias, cryptocoryne balansae, microsorum pteropsus "narrow". Very low wpg around 0.5 wpg, short photo period, so algae isn't out of control, just some on the rocks that grows sometimes. Just could do with that little bit of backup now and then really.

I think I will just stick to BNs. Would anyone have a reason for saying no to golden nugget plecs?

Any suggestions on some form of schooling fish for the mid/upper layers? I would love to get a shoal of cyps, but my tank really isn't big enough. Clareuk- do you feel the nipping would be a problem with TBs in a tank that contains fish able to fight above their weight...if you know what i mean!? I used to keep TBs and felt that they were nippy towards other, less aggressive community fish, but when it came to the more aggressive ones they backed off.

Thanks guys and gals

Greg

Most reactions

Back