shubunkin goldfish. i bought my beautiful goldfish about one and a half years ago. the fish guy at petco

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have a goldfish for 1 1/2 years. the petco “ fish guy” said it was a shubunkin goldfish. it’s all one color- regular orangey goldfish. but i just read shubunkins are always tri- colored, like a koi. can shubunkins be one color?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 51
The fish in the picture is just a white and pale yellow fantail (double tail) goldfish.

Shubunkins are a streamlined fish with a single tail, and have a mottled pattern consisting of 3-4 colours.

There are also calico fantail goldfish, which have the shubunkin colouring but the double tail and body of a fantail goldfish like the fish in the picture.

--------------
You should add some substrate to the tank to make the fish feel more secure. A dark colour will help improve the colour of the fish.

The fish should also get plant matter in its diet. You can grow Duckweed (a small floating plant) in the aquarium and the fish will eat that. You can also feed it peas, spinach, cucumber, zuchinni and various other fruits and veges. Just make sure they are clean and free of chemicals. And don't feed fish on onions or onion relatives, and no potatoe.

The fish in the picture is just a white and pale yellow fantail (double tail) goldfish.

Shubunkins are a streamlined fish with a single tail, and have a mottled pattern consisting of 3-4 colours.

There are also calico fantail goldfish, which have the shubunkin colouring but the double tail and body of a fantail goldfish like the fish in the picture.

--------------
You should add some substrate to the tank to make the fish feel more secure. A dark colour will help improve the colour of the fish.

The fish should also get plant matter in its diet. You can grow Duckweed (a small floating plant) in the aquarium and the fish will eat that. You can also feed it peas, spinach, cucumber, zuchinni and various other fruits and veges. Just make sure they are clean and free of chemicals. And don't feed fish on onions or onion relatives, and no potatoe.
thank you for clarifying. although Petco charged me more for a shubunkin. i just put the goldfish in her new larger tank. i’m not done setting up the tank with substrate.

Shubunkins have a single tail and are multi coloured
thanks- at the time i bought her i wasn’t sure what shubunkin goldfish look like. i paid a bigger price for a shubunkin.
i still think she is beautiful.

thanks- at the time i bought her i wasn’t sure what shubunkin goldfish look like. i paid a bigger price for a shubunkin.
i still think she is beautiful.
Fantails are better in Aquariums than Shubunkins anyhow, so you have done well. I am surprised that Shubunkins are worth more than Fantails in New Zealand any double tailed fish is worth more than a single tail

Fantails are better in Aquariums than Shubunkins anyhow, so you have done well. I am surprised that Shubunkins are worth more than Fantails in New Zealand any double tailed fish is worth more than a single tail
Same deal in Australia, fantails cost more than single tail fish.

interesting. i don’t have confidence in petco’s knowledge base. i have birds and have had many kinds for 30 years and the stuff employees tell is wrong. i bu

i have a blue and gold macaw, Moluccan cockatoo, umbrella cockatoo, a cockatiel, a love bird, 2 ringneck doves,zebra finches, a starling, a bluejay ( blind in one eye), and 2 house sparrows-lot of work but worth it ❤️

do you have any pictures of the Moluccan and umbrella cockatoos?

what colour zebra finches do you have, normal grey or mutations?

how did you end up with a 1 eyed blue jay?

Agree with the others. He is a standard fantail. The way his tail looks - he is quite "low grade" and seemingly quite small for his age and I also agree that he has poor color. Some dark substrate, better food, and better lighting will improve his color.

Here, standard dinky 1" Shubunkins and standard dinky 1" plain fantails are roughly the same value, with the fantail maybe being SLIGHTLY more.

I went to an overpriced Asian shop and paid $20 for a slightly larger imported juvenile "fantail" but he actually had tiny headgrowth so he is a low quality Oranda. They wanted $35 for the Orandas of the same size and I just wasn't going to pay that even though I wanted an Oranda.

Most reactions

Back