Shrimplets!

FISH-FRY

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've known these guys were hiding out and only saw them twice before and only one per sighting. The first time they were tiny and transparent and then the next time there was one that was about 5x the original size and it was reddish. Now since yesterday they've been bold and hanging out on plants and other places. The fish swim by them and have not taken interest. I'll probably skip my brine shrimp feeding this weekend in case the fish mistaken these little fellows as one of the other shrimp.

I counted about half a dozen the first time I noticed them and then another three at the top of the tree trunk. Now I've seen about a dozen today. There were six at the top of the tree trunk and wondering if they've been hiding inside all along. They kind of remind me of roaches coming out en masse.

Shimplets-3.png

Shimplets-2.png

Shimplets-1.png

I'm hoping to see Panda Cory fry next since they have been spawning like crazy.

Congrats :) How many adults do you have?

Thanks! I picked up 4 RCS 24 days ago. I just noticed a new group of shimplets about 5x smaller than the last and also another one about 3x smaller than those. I didn't expect them to multiply this quickly and may have to start thinking about making alternate living arrangements for them as they get larger.

They should be alright to be honest, they seem to slow down breeding as space/food gets scarcer.

They should be alright to be honest, they seem to slow down breeding as space/food gets scarcer.

I wound up rinsing my filter today because it was making some noise. The noise is gone although it really wasn't that dirty and I'm pretty sure I know why...there were 21 (twenty one) live shrimp, one dead and an exoskeleton in the filter. I'm glad I got them back in and hope they don't get sucked up again. Most of them were from the second or third brood of shrimplets based on their sizes. You can now see them everywhere and the fish just swim by them.

They sure are prolific breeders, aren't they?!! I have a stocking over my filter to keep them out. I have mine with some harlequin rasboras and kuhli loaches. The rasboras occassionally eat a shrimplet here and there but for the most part don't bother them at all.

They sure are prolific breeders, aren't they?!! I have a stocking over my filter to keep them out. I have mine with some harlequin rasboras and kuhli loaches. The rasboras occassionally eat a shrimplet here and there but for the most part don't bother them at all.

They sure are and hope they slow down. I think I saw one the day before last doing something that looked like they were humping in the Java moss. The Rasbora seem to be the ones that nip at anything floating about. I've even seen them eat poo. Other fish suck some in but then spit it out, not these guys. I've also seen RCS munching in poo as well and believe they enjoy the Siamese Algae Eater's stuff.

Most reactions

Back