Shrimp Instead Of Corys?

Jeff000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
While planning my tanks inhabitents I ran into a problem of corys being too much fish for the bottom part of my tank.

And while looking on here shrimp seemed like a great alternative, while not being as neat to watch at times, they do the same job, and arguable better.

My concern is that they will take any chance that the baby guppy fry might have away. and while I am not activly breeding it would be neat to see if a couple made it past being born.

Also I will be getting Rams, and well I think they might just eat the shrimp.
And if the rams do lay eggs then I really wouldnt want them to get eaten, although again I am not activly breeding.

Thanks for any input, I am looking at the ghost or cherry :)

I'm not 100% sure Jeffo but I think corys will eat eggs as well, most catfish do. Baby guppys are really good at surviving so I wouldn't worry too much, they're not called "Millions fish" for nothing!! I had gupps with shrimps and still got fry, as long as there are plenty of hiding places for the fry like rocks and plants, you'll see some.

i wouldnt of thought shrimp would eat fry any more than your average fish would to be honest.so i wouldnt worry to much.if you want to keep a few fry id sugest a fry net or fry trap.

With my experience with ghost shrimp, they're not worth the 25 cents that you spend on them. Mine didn't do a whole lot of cleaning, and they tend to die quickly. I'm down to one and I bought eight the beginning of January. Also, the shrimp never came out until I fed the other fish. I would go with the corys, I would think that they would more entertaining to watch.

As for ghost shrimp, they are known to hunt fry.. :X

Anyways, breeding in a community tank is really hard. In my 10G i have some female platy, a male betta, 2 shrimp and 3 cories.. one platy had tons of fry, but they were all gone in a few days.

Most reactions

Back