Should We, Shouldn't We?

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Alright, so my dad and I are thinking of getting a nice reef set up. The guy at the store which we may purchase the kit says it'll cost us $4600, this will include a 90gallon tank, a stand, a sump and protein skimmer, return pump, a 4' MH (metal halide) light fixture, the salt, the reef master test kit, 100-120lbs of liv rock, sand, 6-8 pieces of corals of various types, 6 fish (yellow, blue, sailfin tangs and clownfish), some invertebres, hydrometer, and 2 powerheads.

The guy said he'll set everything up and maintain it for the first month. Now, I've worked out that I can get a 120gallon tank, with stand, 5' MH light fixture, 140lbs of live rock, 2 powerheads, salt, test kit, the sand, hydrometer, canaster filter and 2 power heads for about $3700.

My questions are firstly, is a protein skimmer actually required inorder to have a reef? Secondly, if it is, then is there a type of protein skimmer out there that functions the same way as a canaster filter as in it stays under the stand and has the tubes lead up the back? and thirdly, is the sump really the best way to go?

I'm trying to tell my dad that regardless of everything that we could probably set up the entire tank ourselves for cheaper than what the guy will sell it to us. But would it be best to go with his deal? Or would it be better to get a sump ourselves, have the same guy drill the holes and set the entire tank up without him?

Alright, so my dad and I are thinking of getting a nice reef set up. The guy at the store which we may purchase the kit says it'll cost us $4600, this will include a 90gallon tank, a stand, a sump and protein skimmer, return pump, a 4' MH (metal halide) light fixture, the salt, the reef master test kit, 100-120lbs of liv rock, sand, 6-8 pieces of corals of various types, 6 fish (yellow, blue, sailfin tangs and clownfish), some invertebres, hydrometer, and 2 powerheads. The guy said he'll set everything up and maintain it for the first month. Now, I've worked out that I can get a 120gallon tank, with stand, 5' MH light fixture, 140lbs of live rock, 2 powerheads, salt, test kit, the sand, hydrometer, canaster filter and 2 power heads for about $3700.My questions are firstly, is a protein skimmer actually required inorder to have a reef? Secondly, if it is, then is there a type of protein skimmer out there that functions the same way as a canaster filter as in it stays under the stand and has the tubes lead up the back? and thirdly, is the sump really the best way to go?I'm trying to tell my dad that regardless of everything that we could probably set up the entire tank ourselves for cheaper than what the guy will sell it to us. But would it be best to go with his deal? Or would it be better to get a sump ourselves, have the same guy drill the holes and set the entire tank up without him?
id shop about first and buy it all seperalty on ebay or local newspapers, alot of the time big kits are more expensive and have a few cheap parts in u dont really want. the live rock will probally be the most expensive thing you need to buy. i got a few bits for my tank today and the guy said i dont need a skimmer since i have 2 filters and live rock. there always a good idea to get though just be safe and aint that expensive on ebay or second hand. just make sure its well washed if it used... same as tanks. they are insanley cheap if you buy them used

On a tank that size I would highly recommend a Skimmer.I have a 75gallon reef with over 30 corals and 90lbs of live rock and I do not have even close to that much money in mine. that kit sounds way too high.def shop around there are always people selling there setups.good luck.

We have found it so much more satisfying to set our marine tanks up ourselves.
It is cheaper, it forces you to research a lot more.
Yes, it is a slower process, but more rewarding.
What will happen after this guy stops maintenance after the first month?
will you know what to do ???
We have a protein skimmer on each tank and do not use sumps.
we have 1 or 2 external filters on each, and extra powerheads where we see necessary.
Yes, we have made some mistakes and lost some fish along the way...but hasn't everyone ?

the thing is if you have a sump you can remove all equipment from your tank! more room!

and external filters can be "nitrate farms"

looks nicer too!

just my opinion

Buy everything and maintain it yourself. It's fun. :p

Alright, first off I don't know if you guys noticed, but I'm based in Canada so this would be $4600 canadian. Secondly, I've thought it was a bit of a scam to begin with however my dad still thinks it's a good deal T-T, I'm trying to convince him that we can do it ourselves without a sump and it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper. I know a fair bit about saltwater tanks and I also know that if I'm having any difficulties that you guys can help me out :)

I'm well aware that having the sump hides everything and looks better and neater, however not all HOB skimmers look like crap do they?

Also, nobody replied to my skimmer question. Is there a protein skimmer out there that's set up like a canister filter? whereas it has 2 tubes that run up into the tank and hides the skimmer entirely?

Not really... All HOB skimmers have a powerhead that sits in the water and a return hose back from the skimmer. If you paint the background black, you can hide the body of the skimmer, but the pump's still there. Here in the western hemisphere your only real options for HOB skimmers that aren't a waste of money would be the AquaC Remora Pro or the Coralife Superskimmer. The remora is far more relaible while the coralife is cheaper IMO.

Here's some questions to ask you:
How good are you at DIY?
Will you be keeping jumping fish?
Is the tank in an air conditioned room?
What kind of livestock are you planning on keeping (fish/corals/inverts/nems)?

Alright thanks much for the help thus far guys.

In regards to the stock, we're still not 100% sure exactly what the stock will be, my dad want's more corals then fish. I understand where he's coming from but still.

We won't be keeping any jumping fish, probably a couple of clown fish, some tangs (1 blue for sure... Dory and Nemo lol, my GF's idea :p), some gobies and of course inverts.

Yes the tank is in an air conditioned room, and as for DIY I'm.... okay... I'm no expert or anything but if I've got somebody else telling me the instructions, or it's somebody's DIY device that they've given me the instructions on how to build the same system, I can manage. So long as I have the right supplies and money that is.

Unfortunatly now, it seems asthough my dad may still want this guys tank, I'll let him know about your opinions some more, however I'm not 100% sure if he'll go the "cheaper" route. :(

Well I suppose in the end it is his money. You'll probably get a good-quality setup from an experienced aquarist for that price.

Yeah, the guys pretty experienced... BUT!! I've convinced my dad to allow me to set up the tank :D :D :D this means I've got more research to do :D The more I know the more powerful I become mwahhahaha :p

Lol, well, first step, pick your livestock and then choose the hardware :)

Got the hardware choices, we're deciding to go with a Canister opposed to a sump as I wouldn't trust myself drilling the tank or setting it up lol. We'll have to go with a hang on the back caister unfortunatly, it may look "ugly" but it'll get the job done and it allows people to ask questions like "hey what's that ugly thing do?", the tank's more than likly going to be 120gallons, 140-150lbs of live rock, 80lbs of live sand, not sure what kind of corals yet, we'd like some easy to maintain ones, and ones that don't need target feeding, and the stock of the tank is still not 100%. We'll be getting atleast 2 clownfish, probably 1 blue tang, a yellow tang, a fire fish goby and some others (about 3 or 4 more), aswell as various snails and shrimps for the clean up crew. As for the lighting my dad would like Metal Halide(MH), so tha'ts what we'll be getting, sure it's more expensive, but the resolution of the light looks so much nicer, oh and of course we'll be getting a powerhead or 2.

Could you guys please suggest some easy corals that don't require target feedings? Aswell as any extra fish that'd do fish in this set-up? I'd love to have a frog fish, however I'd fear for the clown fishes and the shrimps lives.

You can hide the canister by painting the back of the tank black ;)

How much room do you have to setup the tank? If you have the space I'd really suggest a 125g tank if you want to be keeping blue tangs. The 6' length really helps their stress levels and low stress means less ich-prone tangs ;). Either way I'd reccomend some Anthias in a tank that big :D

Will it be open-topped or hooded?

If you're going with metal halide lighting, you can keep a whole host of corals. I'd reccomend Softies and LPS corals for starters. Zooanthids, playthoa (especially P grandis), ricordea mushrooms, rhodactus mushrooms, leathers, green nephtia, open brains, favites brains, euphyllia (hammer, frogspawn, torch, galaxea), bubble corals, maybe a cynarina, and even a tridacna derasa clam if you like.

Most reactions

Back