Should I Treat Now

julia298

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi sorry i put this in beginners section then thought maybe it shouldve been here

can anyone advise me on what to do?

One of my fish is acting strange, its flicking against the plants and swimming up and down against the glass and tunring round and round on the gravel.

I cant see any white spot but should i treat for it anyway?

My water tests were fine but i have just introduced some new cardinal tetras last week.

Can you post us your recent stats for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites just so we can get a cleaer picture of your situation please? Does the fish look like it is unable to maintain balance in the water/stay upright? Do not use any whitespot meds, white spot is a very individual desease and the meds will not help any fish that do not have the parasite, which it doesn't sound like your fish have whitespot.

Ammoinia is 0. Nitrite is 0. Nitrate is 5.0. pH is 7.6.

I have just noticed that one of the cardinals has small sort of white patch that sticks out on his mouth, only visible at certain angles.

The danio that is rubbing is not doing it all the time. It is also quite big and so is one of the othe danios. I assumed this was becasue they were maybe females but they do look very full bodied. (Other fat danio not rubbing at all)

Quite a few deseases here, sounds like a parasite any signs that they look like they have been sprinkled in salt, or a yellow to gold rust colour on them, the mouth does the patch look fluffy, are they turning upside down really fast, or slow, do you mean they are whirling very fast.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hdcolumn.htm

Not the writer of this information below.

Swim Bladder Disorder

The Swim bladder is a gas-filled sac located inside the fish’s body cavity just above most of the other internal organs. This sac is what gives the fish buoyancy and controls equilibrium. The amount of gas in this sac changes as the fish rises and sinks in the water, enabling it to swim, hover and move in the water. Without the use of the Swim-bladder organ a fish is unable to control it's own movements.

Symptoms:

Fish with a swim bladder disorder appear to have an abnormal swimming pattern, usually with their tail end up. They also appear to have difficulty maintaining equilibrium. They may even float upside down or appear to be stuck at the surface of the water, being unable to swim down, or they may lie on the bottom, unable to rise. Fish with a swim bladder disorder will continue to try and feed, showing a normal appetite.

Cause:

The most common cause of swim bladder disorders is improper diet. An improper diet can lead to intestinal gas or intestinal blockages. Intestinal blockages can irritate the bowel, giving bacteria or other parasites an entry point where they can then cause damage to the swim bladder. Swim bladder disorders are most common in the larger, deep-bodied varieties of Goldfish. Fish also fed a lot of dried foods, especially pellets, are most susceptible. This condition is frequently observed in the later stages of Malawi Bloat, which is primarily due to an improper diet as well and intestinal irritation.

Treatment:

Because this disorder is due principally to an improper diet, a change in their feeding needs to be made. Dried foods with lots of protein should be kept to a minimum. Pellets and other dense foods should be soaked prior to feeding or completely eliminated from their diet. Foods with lots of fiber should be introduced, such as zucchini, squash, spinach, romaine lettuce, peas, and grated carrots. If you suspect that the fish is victim to a bacterial infection, treat the fish with a medicated food.

Could quiite possibly be Velvet or rust disease. Fish may be off colour peppered with small rust coloured spots (individual or in clumps) itching, scratching and erratic movements. If it is this disease can and will be fatal if left. Try treating with Protozin from Waterlife products. and administer dosage according to mfg. recommendations.
http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/protozin.htm

Most reactions

Back