Should I separate my goldfish?

ellamarie

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Last night I made a post introducing myself and I mentioned my fish. I have two young goldfish, one still getting its color, in a 20 gallon tank. Right now I don't have the money for a larger tank or a stand which can hold it, which I know they will eventually need, but I did find another 20 gallon in my basement. It would take some time to get clean and up and running + time to get the necessary equipment, but would it be better to separate them?

I've noticed that I have to do 50% or more water changes 2x a week (which I don't know if that's normal) to keep there tank clean but they also seem to enjoy each others company and have been together since I got them. I'm torn between separating them and giving each of them space and a cleaner tank or keeping them together.

What do you guys think, should I separate them or are there another options for them?

They're social, so isolating them can also be very stressful.

Goldfish get really big--even the fancies. Unfortunately if you are reaching the point that they're outgrowing the 20g (ideally just a baby tank for them) then they really do need an upgrade fast.

If you can't accommodate the size they'll need, you might have to consider rehoming to someone else. Are yours fancies or are they single tails?

Fancies you can get away with a little less space, I think a 75g is a nice space for 2 fancies, maybe a couple more if the fancies are ranchu or lionheads as those stay a touch smaller than even other fancies, but most still get pretty big. Single tails need 100 gallons for one fish to start, add 50 gallons for every additional fish afterwards. Or, 20g additional for each fancy.

They poop a lot and grow pretty large, and single tails are very active (fancies are as well, but they can have mobility issues due to their fancy fins and stubby bodies).

I'll pull up a size comparison of my guys so you can get an idea of what you might eventually be looking at.

Okay so here are my 3 boys.

Neowise is a common goldfish, so big boy. He is 4 years old and still growing, but:
20240515_2112300.jpg

He's got another 2 inches to go.

Now my fancies, this is from last year, so theyve gotten bigger but even fancies can get big. The calico fantail is now 3 years old and hes pushing about 8 inches or more by now.
20230806_032722.jpg

You can see in this video which is most recent... they don't stay small. A 20g isn't going to cut it if they're already over 4 inches.

Okay so here are my 3 boys.

Neowise is a common goldfish, so big boy. He is 4 years old and still growing, but:
View attachment 349885
He's got another 2 inches to go.

Now my fancies, this is from last year, so theyve gotten bigger but even fancies can get big. The calico fantail is now 3 years old and hes pushing about 8 inches or more by now. View attachment 349886

You can see in this video which is most recent... they don't stay small. A 20g isn't going to cut it if they're already over 4 inches.

View attachment 349887
Thankfully they are both very young, one hasn't even gotten its color yet, so I think I have a ways to go until they need a tank of that size, but I am defiantly going to upgrade them soon. The biggest is like an 1 1/2 MAYBE 2 inches.

What would be the minimum for them as they grow for the next 6mths or so? They weren't in the greatest shape when I got them and even though I have fallen in love with them, I can't afford to get above 100 gal without knowing if they will actually live to warrant it. That being said, I don't want their tank size to contribute to bad health.

Oh and they are both single tales I believe. They are the super common type.

Thankfully they are both very young, one hasn't even gotten its color yet, so I think I have a ways to go until they need a tank of that size, but I am defiantly going to upgrade them soon. The biggest is like an 1 1/2 MAYBE 2 inches.

What would be the minimum for them as they grow for the next 6mths or so? They weren't in the greatest shape when I got them and even though I have fallen in love with them, I can't afford to get above 100 gal without knowing if they will actually live to warrant it. That being said, I don't want their tank size to contribute to bad health.

Oh and they are both single tales I believe. They are the super common type.
If they're both single tails, you will reach about 6 inches within one year, provided they're not stunted (stunting isn't healthy for fish in case you hear someone say they grow to their tank size, just in case it's something you don't know).

At the size now, 2 inches, you are good until about 4 inches max and then you need to upgrade to a 55 gallon or larger. Once they reach. About 8 inches, you won't have the luxury of waiting, they will need a 150 gallon since both are single tails.

You can also buy Rubbermaid stock ponds of appropriate size, if you find finding a glass tank that size is too much or too difficult.

For now, upgrade filtration. Goldfish make a lot of mess, so you will want a lot of filtration. A canister is a worthwhile investment, but they do cost a little extra, so food for thought.

I don't know what your living situation is like or what space you have available, but definitely consider a non-glass tank of some sort. They'll be a whole lot cheaper per gallon than a glass aquarium.

I've seen people successfully keep goldfish in agricultural metal stock tanks like this. They can look really nice, especially if you treat it like a mini pond with some nice floating plants and lilypads
1726545001593.png

I don't know what your living situation is like or what space you have available, but definitely consider a non-glass tank of some sort. They'll be a whole lot cheaper per gallon than a glass aquarium.

I've seen people successfully keep goldfish in agricultural metal stock tanks like this. They can look really nice, especially if you treat it like a mini pond with some nice floating plants and lilypads
View attachment 349934

If executed well it looks like a great project to take on :)

This is soooo cute but I have cats so they couldn't be somewhere where there is an open top. I do love the way it looks though.
You can do DIY type lids for this using acrylic sheets but also there's pond netting used to deter predators that could work as well. Window screen... there's options if you go that route :)

You can do DIY type lids for this using acrylic sheets but also there's pond netting used to deter predators that could work as well. Window screen... there's options if you go that route :)
I defiantly think something like that would work, maybe down the road when I have more space I'll give it a go!

Most reactions

Back