Should I Get A Molly Or Is That A Bad Idea?

oogaboogaman

Reaction score
From what i have read mollies have the tendency to nip fins. I have some longfin danio's and some platy's in my tank. So would this be a bad idea then?

p.s. are mollies related to platys because they look very similar

Mollies are related to platies (both live-bearing poeciliids) but not closely enough to interbreed.

Whether you should get one depends on the size of your tank; if it's large enough, shouldn't be a problem. Also, they do require hard alkaline water.

the problem i found with mollies is their unstoppable breeding.

Hiya, I have 2 dalmation mollies, also 3 danio's. i find the molliess to be the most peace full and unagressive fish iv had. My danio's chase each other around and my flyig fox have a odd chase around the tank, but the mollys just happily swim around with everything and dont bother any of them.

both my mollies are female though so no baby mollies for me :no:

They really are great though :good:

i got my first mollies about 2-3 weeks ago, they are great ,very peacefull,i havent seen any signs of trouble, they are housed with a few platys, angels, 1 male betta,so yes i would reccomend them,

shelagh xxx

They should be fine, although mollies do like a bit salt in the water most lfs dont keep them that way so check with your lfs to see if they use salt in thier mollies tanks, if not then there is not much point in adding it as they will be use to being without it.

my tank is 20 gallons and has 6 danios, 4 platies, and a dwarf frog.
If i get a molly what is the effect of the salt i would need to add on the frog? i assume the other fish wouldnt mind it at all. but what about the frog.

thanks everyone!

my tank is 20 gallons and has 6 danios, 4 platies, and a dwarf frog.
If i get a molly what is the effect of the salt i would need to add on the frog? i assume the other fish wouldnt mind it at all. but what about the frog.

thanks everyone!
If you used enough of any salt to actually benefit the mollies at all it would kill the frog, and effect the danios badly. The platies would be OK though.

I think your thinking of that freshwater aquarium salt anyway...which isn't a good idea, it's just basically just overpriced sea-salt, and the recommended doses on the side dont have any positive effect (logic would dictate that it could hurt most fish over the long term).
Marine aquarium salt is what you would want for mollies, there's a pinned topic on mollies and salt here :).

Though if you have hard alkaline water, and are lucky enough to get good strong mollies, I wouldn't worry about salt too much.

Most reactions

Back