Shocking Lfs Caring Of Fish

basboi85

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well I went to a lfs today to go and possibly get some new fish and a filter ended up walking away with a 5ft tank but I'm not one to slag lfs off but.......

After I done the deal on the tank I looked at buying some more Molly's as I like them a lot and OMG was I put off from buying from there I'd say out of a possible 30-40 tanks 3/4 of them had dead fish in them as well as some tanks with multiple fish having DROPSY and ICH !!!!!

And above all else that truly put me off the dead fish wasn't just a few hours dead they must've been at least 1-4 days dead as there was loads on the bottom and had been skinned to the bone !!!!

But they had some beautiful fish in there aswell which was a real shame as I wanted to take them all home and look after them.

Seriously though how they could expect anyone to buy any fish from there is a mystery to me as it can't be good to the other fish.

Me and my mate counted 17!!!! Dead fish in one tank alone.

Now I'm far from a expert or a know it all to be preaching but something is obv wrong if there's that many dead fish.
Me and my mate even said we would work there and I'm seriously thinking about it as the youngest bloke there must've been in his 40's and oldest in his 60's an just seems to me that they've lost interest

That is shocking but it happens in many fish shops just so they can make £££££££ its all they care about..

Sad i know

It also helps to ask, there can be many reasons for shop fish to dye like that. It may of just been a bad shipment that they had gotten a day or two ago.

It also helps to ask, there can be many reasons for shop fish to dye like that. It may of just been a bad shipment that they had gotten a day or two ago.

Very true but any decent fish store will hold new fish in quarantine (in tanks that are not on show) for at least 2 weeks to make sure that the fish they are selling are healthy and fit for resale :good:

Very true but any decent fish store will hold new fish in quarantine (in tanks that are not on show) for at least 2 weeks to make sure that the fish they are selling are healthy and fit for resale :good:
I have loads of awesome fish store around here and none would ever do that with typical livebearers. With their discus, freshwater rays, and SW fish defiantly, but it is not cost effective with any of the livebearers or common tetras. Such a method also cuts selection down alot as you need double the tanks. For shops that i go to they have well over 100 retail tanks, quarantining stock for that many tanks is no easy thing. Most always I can say the have excellent fish but bad shipments do happen. Like most shops they will write 'NFS' on a tank if something is wrong. I've watched them unpack boxes and most their stuff goes directly to retail tanks. Every now and then there is still a bad shipment/bag. If the wholesaler is good, it could be something like a new packer.

Thing is they was all a fair size but one of the workers was a bit of a old boy couldn't even denie there was dead fish as he was looking around for female mollies with me as I'm in to mollies and you can blatantly see the amount of dead fish. I'm seriously thinking of phoning them up just to see if they need any helpers down there and be a good experience for myself aswell

I recently went to a pet store where there were catfish eating a silver molly! And they had a goldfish in a quarantine tank with gouramis, and other tropical fish. I probably won't be going to pet store again. I only have one or two lfs in my area, and one is a marine store only.

Sorry to say this but complaining about it here is going to achieve nothing.

If you really are concerned then do one of two things. Contact the owner/manager of the shop and put in a complaint or contact the RSPCA - alternatively, to really make a difference, do both.

I've managed a few stores over the years. I always did three "mortality runs" a day to scoop out any dead fish. We would mark what tanks they came from to make sure it wasn't a problem starting. As for quarantining, I agree too cost prohibitive. But I would usually recommend people not to buy the fish the first few days we had them. Each morning I would walk the tanks and look for any that needed treatment, treat, turn out the light, and write nfs on the tank. Sometimes you get in bad batches of fish (guppies, mollies, fancy goldfish come to mind) and there are mass dieoffs. But you should not see old dead carcasses in the tanks. It doesn't take a lot to do the above mentioned tasks.

Sorry to say this but complaining about it here is going to achieve nothing.

If you really are concerned then do one of two things. Contact the owner/manager of the shop and put in a complaint or contact the RSPCA - alternatively, to really make a difference, do both.

+1... if they are not decent enough to give you an honest answer to the complaint you really should be giving them, then contact the relative authorities.
I love your idea of willing to help out,it would be a resounding success for you if you were able to carry it out, good luck :good:

Terry.

I was in a well-known pet store chain today, and though most of the fish looked healthy, there was one really sad tank of male dwarf gouramis... two looked healthy, and all the others were sitting motionless, faded colours, so sad to see. And at least two were dead, lodged in the leaves of a plant. My wife was really upset, I thought she was going to cry. she said she wanted to buy them all to give them a happy home, but we couldn't. :sad:

Most, if not all large fish stores, run integrated sump systems for their tanks. Is it safe to buy any fish from them if you can identify an illness in any of the tanks? Seeing as all the tanks are filtered as one system. I've had LFS workers describe to me their filter system as I'm looking at tanks that were labeled NFS at the same time. Does this make sense?

Thanks
Steve

Most, if not all large fish stores, run integrated sump systems for their tanks. Is it safe to buy any fish from them if you can identify an illness in any of the tanks? Seeing as all the tanks are filtered as one system. I've had LFS workers describe to me their filter system as I'm looking at tanks that were labeled NFS at the same time. Does this make sense?

Thanks
Steve

Exactly, Steve. I see that too. Some can shut the one tank off from the system, but not all.

Most reactions

Back