Sexing Severums

untitled

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between male and female green severum? I only have one so no comparison.

Thanks

Males are bigger, typically around 10" when fully grown, females stay around the 8" mark. Males have longer filaments on the dorsal and anal fins, and develop a large nuchal hump and dewlap if they are dominant.

Males also have lots of darker colored squiggly markings on their faces and females don't.

This is an old pic of my Female. She is much bigger now
CIMG2351.jpg

Not the best pic but if you look you can see the marks i'm talking about on this male adolescent. He's gotten bigger too. He isn't usually this dark
CIMG2907.jpg

Males also have lots of darker colored squiggly markings on their faces and females don't.

Interestingly, although this seems to be the most common method of sexing them, I have found on many occations that it simply does not work. There appear to my eyes to be a number of different varieties, sub-species and the like of the different Heros species, and the markings method doesent work for all of them.

Interestingly, although this seems to be the most common method of sexing them, I have found on many occations that it simply does not work. There appear to my eyes to be a number of different varieties, sub-species and the like of the different Heros species, and the markings method doesent work for all of them.
Really!? i was told somewhere that the markings were the closest thing to 100% accurate for Heros Efasciatus.

From my readings I've found people often use the squiggly markings as a way of sexing, but not on colour, instead using the length and the 'squigglyness'.

Though I think there is no easy way of sexing for sure.

Really!? i was told somewhere that the markings were the closest thing to 100% accurate for Heros Efasciatus.

For true efasciatus maby, but there are so many different severums out there that people dont nessiserilly have efasciatus, but another species or sub-species.
Its all a bit complicated, but I would stay away from the markings idea for sexing them. There really is no sure fire way to tell unless they breed. I know I thought I had a sexed pair, until the smaller (presumed female) killed the much larger male and its now getting loner fins and a large dewlap.

what's a dewlap? in regards to fish. i thought that was an extra toe for some mammals

Nope, a dewlap is the throat extension found in many animals. Then again, it is ment to be applied to Tetrapods, not fish. But I feel the word is descriptive enough!

I think I have figured it out (sorry if this doesn't work!)

This is my green severum.......the oscars wanted in on the action too!

DSC01905.jpg

Most reactions

Back