Setting Up An Adf (african Dwarf Frog) Tank...

hollyp0p

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've not kept ADF's before but I want to set up my 13 litre spare tank as a froggie tank!

Currently it's heated and filtered, but upon reading up on them there's a few things I am not sure of, and a few things I want to ask.

I've read ADF's don't like a strong flow or vibrations and are best without filters in smaller tanks, is this true, my filter takes up a bit too much space really so I wouldn't miss it if I took it out and just dealt with regular water changes instead.

Another thing is what can you feed ADF's? And how is the best way to feed them, I read either by hand or by using a 'dish' to rest food on as frogs aren't the best foragers.

I want to make this tank as homely as I can for froggies, so what is the best substrate to use, and what other things should I include in the tank? (bearing in mind it's a clearseal without a light)

ALL help welcome!!!!

Thanks guys :) :good:

make sure it has a lid.

feed frozen bloodworm is best, you can hand feed them or just make sure u can put them in front of them.
becareful of filters that have wide intake slits as there legs can get caught in this! :good:

cool, the clearseal has a lid :) no worries there, blood worms sounds good can feed them to my betta in my main tank too :)

oh also anyone know what sort of illnesses you have to watch for on frogs?

Live bloodworm is also good. ADF's have really poor eyesight and so make sure they are getting enough food. When in with fish or other critters this is more of an issue in a species set up like yours you should be fine. As for habitat, provide plenty of hiding spaces, sand would be a good substrate for you. The frogs swim to the surface for air, so try not to have to many things obstructing them from doing this.

If you're doing regular water changes, be very careful because they JUMP and I mean jump, then scarper really quickly, so just be aware x

ok that's cool, i've read terracotta pots are good......sand may be a bit of a bind to set up and for siphoning, may stick to soft small pebble subsrate.

What do we reakon to no filter, over filter considering mine is fairly strong current near the water surface, and possibly could be a hazard to their little feet?

Also can you handle ADF's??

ok that's cool, i've read terracotta pots are good......sand may be a bit of a bind to set up and for siphoning, may stick to soft small pebble subsrate.

What do we reakon to no filter, over filter considering mine is fairly strong current near the water surface, and possibly could be a hazard to their little feet?

I would filter personally, is there no way of turning down the flow? don't forget they spend most of their time on the bottom so they won't be battling with surface agitation etc. but they need well oxygenated tanks and they do nip up top to grab some air from time to time and yes you can handle them but as i said, they are frogs and they are quick to jump, the amount of times frogs have gone hopping off in LFS never to be found or seen again :(

I would filter personally, is there no way of turning down the flow? don't forget they spend most of their time on the bottom so they won't be battling with surface agitation etc. but they need well oxygenated tanks and they do nip up top to grab some air from time to time and yes you can handle them but as i said, they are frogs and they are quick to jump, the amount of times frogs have gone hopping off in LFS never to be found or seen again :(

ok, nah no way of turning it down, it's a fluval 1, so rather old school :) that's ok, i'll be wary, maybe keep lid half on when water changing, etc.

anyone for anymore?

if i can find any i may get some froglets today, so the mor advice the merrier!

Here's a pinned thread you may find useful;

http://www.fishforums.net/content/Inverteb...an-Dwarf-Frogs/

As for the filter it's personal choice, if you can keep ontop of the water changes and would prefer to leave the filter out then do so but if you'd rather have it then I see no problem. I have a 50L tank with a fluval 2 on it(rated up to 90L) and it doesn't cause an excessive amount of flow, i just turn the flow right down and point it towards the glass.

I wouldn't feed just bloodworms, like any other aquatic creature frogs require a varied diet. You can get pellet food but it's down to the individual frog whether it will be eaten or not, most seem to prefer frozen foods such as blackworms, bloodworms, beefheart they love but it's not advisable to feed it to them very often. They also love earthworms, I think it's safe to say they are worm mad :p

Diseases to look out for are fungus, bloat & bacterial infections, fungus & bloat(dropsy) are very noticeable and treated in the same way it is with fish. Bacterial infections are the worst problem because they don't always show obvious signs of being ill, some frogs will simply stop eating for a couple of days and be lethargic and then die.

Here's a pinned thread you may find useful;

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/Inverteb...an-Dwarf-Frogs/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/Inverteb...an-Dwarf-Frogs/[/URL]

As for the filter it's personal choice, if you can keep ontop of the water changes and would prefer to leave the filter out then do so but if you'd rather have it then I see no problem. I have a 50L tank with a fluval 2 on it(rated up to 90L) and it doesn't cause an excessive amount of flow, i just turn the flow right down and point it towards the glass.

I wouldn't feed just bloodworms, like any other aquatic creature frogs require a varied diet. You can get pellet food but it's down to the individual frog whether it will be eaten or not, most seem to prefer frozen foods such as blackworms, bloodworms, beefheart they love but it's not advisable to feed it to them very often. They also love earthworms, I think it's safe to say they are worm mad :p

Diseases to look out for are fungus, bloat & bacterial infections, fungus & bloat(dropsy) are very noticeable and treated in the same way it is with fish. Bacterial infections are the worst problem because they don't always show obvious signs of being ill, some frogs will simply stop eating for a couple of days and be lethargic and then die.

That's a great tip about pointing the flow towards the glass, Holly if you're worried in any way about the flow you could do that or put a little spray bar attachment onto it and point that at the glass

yeah that sounds more sensible i'll place it next to the heater at the back facing the front pain of glass :)
I didn't find any frogs today but I've only been into my local maidenhead, there's at least 3 or 4 others I could try but I'll do that tomorrow now :)
:good:
I like the coconut caves idea azael, might pinch that one :) do you think java fern will be ok in there, the tank gets a lot of daylight, but has no internal light as it's only a clearseal, unless anyone can recommend some small, cheap ways to provide lighting?

:good:

It should be fine as a temporary measure, I had some java fern in mine and only had a table lamp for a light and it survived but never grew. Another thing that I found my frogs loved for cover was moss balls split in half and shaped into caves, they preffered that to the coconut / real caves.

It should be fine as a temporary measure, I had some java fern in mine and only had a table lamp for a light and it survived but never grew. Another thing that I found my frogs loved for cover was moss balls split in half and shaped into caves, they preffered that to the coconut / real caves.
how much light do they need?

Most reactions

Back