Serious Water Issue!

RoLo

Reaction score
Okay so after always getting the same ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate results after 80%+ water changes, I decided to check the levels of my tap water...and sure enough, they're exactly the same!
Ammonia: 0.50ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm

So my question is, what can be done about this? How can I bring the levels of my tap water down? I am nearing my 2 month mark and would like to get some new fish at that point, but I'm not going to unless I get this situation figured out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If your filter is cycled then it will take care of the ammonia in your tap water. When you do a water change use a dechlorinator like prime which will covert the ammonia to a less toxic form so your fish should be fine. Then your filter will process it.

Also if your PH is low then ammonia will be in the less toxic form.

If the filter is cycled then you shouldn't read any ammonia, hopefully after 12 hours.

I think Prime will neutralize ammonia in tap water. You can also do your water changes with distilled water instead of tap. I have a friend that has well water with high ammonia concentrations and he swears by Prime. Not sure who makes it but I wish he didn't love it so much, I'm tired of listening to him.

My tap water has 1.0 ppm ammonia and since my tank has cycled, if I do a 50% water change the next day my test shows 0 ammonia. Eventually your filter will catch up and take care of what your tap water adds...Now I have stocked my tank and I use Seachem Prime. It neutralizes the ammonia and nitrites is your water from a water change for up to 24 hours. That will give your cycled filter time to clear it out.

I am concerned that you are nearing your 2 month point, I would think that your filter would be clearing the ammonia by now. What is your Ph?

Don't test immediately after the water change, test the next day. If it's zero ammonia then you're good to go.

I think Prime will neutralize ammonia in tap water. You can also do your water changes with distilled water instead of tap. I have a friend that has well water with high ammonia concentrations and he swears by Prime. Not sure who makes it but I wish he didn't love it so much, I'm tired of listening to him.

Seachem make it

Tom

As long as your filter is cycled, ie no ammonia or nitrite readings after 12-24 h and you use a dechlorinator like seachem prime everything is fine.
Your ph is really only an issue for what fish your going to have. If you are still cycling your filter then your ph is fine for the bacteria.

Okay well after many water changes, I still continue to get the exact same readings, which I guess means that my filter isn't cycled, and I'm at my 2 month mark. I'm going to give that Seachem Prime stuff a try and see if that helps out. I'm just afraid that I'm at 2 months and still getting these readings.

Seachem Prime won't get rid of the ammonia if you still have it, it will only detoxify it for 48 hours. If you still have ammonia readings the day after a water change then you are either still not cycled or you have a lot of decaying organic matter in the tank. Perhaps it's time to give the filter, substrate and any wood, plants and ornaments a good clean out.

And, of course, it's not unheard of for the API tests to be wrong. Either get a new ammonia test or take a sample to your fish shop for a test.

Do you still only have the three fish in the tank?

Seachem Prime won't get rid of the ammonia if you still have it, it will only detoxify it for 48 hours. If you still have ammonia readings the day after a water change then you are either still not cycled or you have a lot of decaying organic matter in the tank. Perhaps it's time to give the filter, substrate and any wood, plants and ornaments a good clean out.

And, of course, it's not unheard of for the API tests to be wrong. Either get a new ammonia test or take a sample to your fish shop for a test.

Do you still only have the three fish in the tank?
Yes I still only have the three fish, but from what I've learned since having them I am going to have to get rid of them sooner or later, especially if I would like to add more fish. This is because apparently the Pearl Danio's need a tank bigger then a 10 gallon because they're agressive towards each other in it. So another question up in the air for me as well is when do I get rid of them? Get rid of them now and wait until my tank is cycled to get some new fish, or finish my cycle with my fish in and then get rid of them and get new ones? I'm not sure what to do...

Danios can be aggressive but that's usually down to being in too small of a group with six being the minimum recommended. And yes, a 10 gallon tank isn't ideal for Danios because they are such fast, active fish and need a long tank to be happy in.

But you might as well continue with these fish as they are relatively hardy compared to other fish and three in a 10 gallon is just about right to cycle with.

You are doing fine RoLo. The tests show you the results of your water changes and the fish that you have. Where you need to end up is with ammonia and nitrites processing on their own to zero, but many of us cannot achieve that right away. Instead we must put up with doing water changes to always keep ammonia and nitrites below 0.25 ppm. If you can do that, your cycle will proceed to achieve those numbers eventually.

Danios can be aggressive but that's usually down to being in too small of a group with six being the minimum recommended. And yes, a 10 gallon tank isn't ideal for Danios because they are such fast, active fish and need a long tank to be happy in.

But you might as well continue with these fish as they are relatively hardy compared to other fish and three in a 10 gallon is just about right to cycle with.
You are doing fine RoLo. The tests show you the results of your water changes and the fish that you have. Where you need to end up is with ammonia and nitrites processing on their own to zero, but many of us cannot achieve that right away. Instead we must put up with doing water changes to always keep ammonia and nitrites below 0.25 ppm. If you can do that, your cycle will proceed to achieve those numbers eventually.
Thanks a lot for the advice guys, I truly appreciate it. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully I can achieve those numbers soon as I would like to add some different species to my tank.

Most reactions

Back