Serious Water Change Problem!

RoLo

Reaction score
Okay so yesterday before changing my water I tested for ammonia(0.50ppm) nitrite(0ppm) and nitrate(5.0ppm). About 30 minutes after the water change I conducted the same tests and got the same results. How could this be? I would think that a water change would've dropped my ammonia and nitrate but no. What could be a possible cause of this?

The levels from the tap are probably the same. Test the tap water for ammonia and nitrate to find out.

Is this water change from your signature 10g tank?
How much water did you change?
Do you use Seachem Prime dechlorinator by any chance? This can give false readings with many common test kits.

The levels from the tap are probably the same. Test the tap water for ammonia and nitrate to find out.
Its weird though because 2 weeks ago I was getting readings of 0 all across the board.

Is this water change from your signature 10g tank?
How much water did you change?
Do you use Seachem Prime dechlorinator by any chance? This can give false readings with many common test kits.
I changed about 80% and I don't use Seachem declorinator I use a Tetra one.

did you rinse your filter pads out in old tank water, you should look at cleaning the substrate too with a gravel cleaner

Sometimes water companies add extra chemicals like chloramines to the tap water, that would give you a reading. As written above, the source of the ammonia may have still been present, rotting food or waste on the tank floor or in the filter pads/sponges.

Nitrate test kits are a nightmare to get meaningfull results from, even if you play "cocktail waiter" with the test bottles for a few minutes!:fun:

did you rinse your filter pads out in old tank water, you should look at cleaning the substrate too with a gravel cleaner
I actually did not think about that. When I change my water later today I will definitely rinse my filter cartridge. And yes I use my gravel vacuum everytime I do a water change.
Nitrate test kits are a nightmare to get meaningfull results from, even if you play "cocktail waiter" with the test bottles for a few minutes!:fun:
I'm using the "API Freshwater Master Test Kit". I was told it's as accurate as you can get.

Most reactions

Back