Science Fair Project?

AceFish

Reaction score
I am required to do a science project and decided that I would like to do a project on some type of freshwater fish. The experiment must be at the high school level and humane. Suggestions?

test how quickly you can cycle a filter with and without media added?
do a test to see if the bottled bacteria actually works or not?
fish learning and behaviour to food (yes you can train fish) try using a betta (betta's are clever) to follow your finger see how long it does it for? before you give it food. :good: (make sure the filters cycled

fish in and fish less cycle compare them? (although i wouldn't do it for the fish's health)

I am always trying out scientific stuff on my tanks. Is it chemistry or biology you are doing?

things I have tried: ask your local water authority if they add chloramine to water, most of the UK doesn't, and therefore all you need to dechlorinate water is a couple of crystals of sodium thiosulphate.

(in other words don't believe all the hype on water conditioners)

Tried cleaning a 2nd hand tank with sodium metabisulphate as it breaks down to nothing much, however on dirty tanks it gives off notxious gas while doing it? what is that gas - don't breath it. Is it to do with the ammonia present?

adding purified sea weed to my tank and testing results as it seems to add iron, trace elements and lower the PH slightly. All good.

Other ideas including live food cultures...

Experiments involving self doping of plant fertilisers - not much data available on plant species and mosses exact requirements.

Do you guys have any ideas that have real world application outside of hobby fish keeping?

erm pretty much the whole agricultural business is based around the nitrogen cycle (also its environmental implications combined with farming industry)... learned about it for my GCSE's and science A levels so would think its a safe bet for your science project
good.gif

erm pretty much the whole agricultural business is based around the nitrogen cycle (also its environmental implications combined with farming industry)... learned about it for my GCSE's and science A levels so would think its a safe bet for your science project
good.gif
+1 to that if you have time you could even selectively breed a new type of fish or plant :good: (that may take some time)

Most reactions

Back