Schooling

Jamie87

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
With tetras school with others? like..will
rasbora hets school with von rio flame tetras?
or
long-finned red minor tetras school with black phantom tetra?

Schooling is a defensive behaviour. It is not often seen in small crowded tanks. In large open spaces, small fish school because it reduces the probabilty of predation. Even fairly lightly stocked tanks have a livestock density much higher then nature. Thus, schooling is not often seen in most "schooling" fish.

Some fish school more readily then others. Harlequins for example, will tend to hang out together even in unthreatening situations. Others, Buenos Aires, or SilverTips for example need to feel very threatened to school up.

In large tanks under threatening conditions, different species of small fish may school together, but in general no, they school with members of their own species.

As you can see from the stocking in my siggy, I have three different types of tetras, and the only time I have ever seen them school together is when I do a water change and they watch my hand like it's a shark, lol. Normally, the Silver Tips chase each other around the tank, the Phantoms just swim around the plants, and the neons just stay in one spot together.

Most reactions

Back