Scarborough Sea Life and Marine Sanctuary

sunflower

I wanted to rule the world but got distracted by s
Reaction score
Well, I cant really find anywhere more suitable to post these pics but I really wanted to share them with you. They're not my fish (I wish!) but they are fish and other sea creatures that I saw at the Sea Life and Marine Sanctuary in Scarborough yesterday.

Lake Malawi Cichlids
York012.jpg

Axylotyls. There guys have external gills and apparently if you expose them to iodine they turn into salamanders!!
York014.jpg

Volitans Lion Fish
York029.jpg

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
York031.jpg

Moray?
York030.jpg

Horseshoe Crab (not a great pic, sorry)
York035.jpg

Red Bellied Piranhas
York038.jpg

Jellyfish
York039.jpg

York040.jpg

York044.jpg

York045.jpg

Rays
York049.jpg

Penguins
York053.jpg

York054.jpg
York056.jpg

York055.jpg

Seals
York057.jpg

York058.jpg

York059.jpg

Batfish
York061.jpg

Marine Fishies
York067.jpg

York068.jpg

York069.jpg

York070.jpg

York071.jpg

York072.jpg

Not very clear but here are the huuuuuuge turtles
York077.jpg

York078.jpg

Awesome pics! I have been to the skegness and G Yarmouth ones, the G yarmouth one being the best IMO, the shark tank takes your breath away. They also have some rare sea horses (searches for pics to post in edit LOL). Have also been to one at st ives in cornwall, not sure if its a sea life center, but its right on the sea shore and very cool.

Jon

I was thinking the same thing Danny - 'how on earth have I not heard of this place???' - then I saw Sunflower is from the UK.

I would love to see those jellyfish though. They have very recently become fascinating to me

canoechiq said:
I would love to see those jellyfish though. They have very recently become fascinating to me
I was stung by one when swimming in the med, I hate jellyfish :crazy:

Jon

canoechiq said:
I have never seen one in real life... my mom was stung on their honeymoon... i hear it's not pleasant.
I hear that urine counteracts the sting.

Not sure how true that is though. Doesnt sound very pleasant but I'm sure if I was in that much pain, I wouldnt care about the method as long as it stopped hurting :blink:

sunflower said:
canoechiq said:
I have never seen one in real life... my mom was stung on their honeymoon... i hear it's not pleasant.
I hear that urine counteracts the sting.

Not sure how true that is though. Doesnt sound very pleasant but I'm sure if I was in that much pain, I wouldnt care about the method as long as it stopped hurting :blink:
Yep, my uncle was waterskiing off Malaysia years ago and he fell off his waterski and got stung on his leg. They had to bring him to the shore, and one of his friends pissed on his leg, and after a while an ambulance arrived. Apparently, the ammonia in urine counter-reacts with the poison in the jellyfish. They even had an episode on "Friends" where Joey had to piss on Monica, because she got stung by a jellyfish. :crazy:

canoechiq said:
My sting was on my honeymoon, and no it was not pleasant, my arm was dead for two days.

Jon

Hey Sun, cool pics!! Looks like you had a good time! I love seals, I just wanna snuggle 'em whenever i see 'em. Would probably get a wet flipper in the face and a lungful of fish-breath, but I still dream..... Your photos are always excellent, is that the same camera from London? It's brill, what is it?

Sarah

woooooooooooow. I want those fish :drool: ok I need to stop drooling and get back to reality :lol: im glad you had fun :)

Most reactions

Back