Sand Substrate and Live Plants

I looked at the Quikrete web page, they only have one color of play sand, same with Sakrete who says you should not use their sand in aquariums.

Last edited:
same with Sakrete who says you should use their sand in aquariums.
Is that a typo? Their website says their sand should not be used in aquariums........

Just don't want anyone who reads it to thinks it's safe ;)

Wow, thanks for the detailed response guys im gonna either get the standard play pit sand or the slate sand mentioned earlier.

so sorry, it was a typo.

What their web sites says:

Applications Sakrete Play Sand Should Not Be Used:

1. Aquariums - A commonly asked question is whether Sakrete Natural Play Sand can be used for fish aquariums. For that application, a special manufactured sand is needed which won’t affect the pH level of the water.

On the opposite end, many use black blasting sand in aquariums. It is relatively cheap. This stuff is ground up coal slag which sounds very nasty, below is a link on the stuff.

The Honest Truth About Black Diamond Blasting Sand Safety in Aquarium

Note: use care if mixing substrates. If the grain size is different, they will quickly separate creating layers.

The linked article is inaccurate and misleading. Blasting sand is without question a rough sand, and too rough for substrate filter feeders (like cories), and loaches. It is fine for the author to state without any qualification that blasting sand is completely safe, but that opinion would only carry weight if the individual making it has the knowledge. When the professional ichthyologists and biologists who have worked with substrate fish for most of their lives give an opinion it has the weight of knowledge and experience. It is comparable to taking advice from your doctor over the ramblings of someone who reads tea leaves.

Wow, thanks for the detailed response guys im gonna either get the standard play pit sand or the slate sand mentioned earlier.
When I picked up play sand for my tank they had two shade one was lighter than the other and I took the darker sand. They were two different brands. The play sand worked out well and I am planning to switch another tank from gravel to sand.

Fair enough, I was just passing along another type of substrate many people use.

By chance do you have a link concerning professional ichthyologists and biologists opinion, I would love to read it.

Black diamond sand is just fine for cories and loaches. That is my experience. I've kept several cory species and zebra loaches on blasting sand, for multiple years, with zero problems. I too would be interested in reading the aforementioned ichthyologists/biologists, because maybe I'm missing something and I'm always interested in another perspective. But I've used it and my fish did (and continue to do) just fine on it.

That said, play sand is probably the most established, non-controversial option, with tons of people having good experiences with it. I personally do soil-under-sand substrates, which last at least several years if you set them up correctly (my current tank is on year four and stable as a rock) but do take some time to stabilize. Not for everyone, but an option worth considering.

Last edited:
Fair enough, I was just passing along another type of substrate many people use.

By chance do you have a link concerning professional ichthyologists and biologists opinion, I would love to read it.

Articles authored by any of the cory authorities that deal with substrate. Ian Fuller, Neale Monks, Heiko Bleher, etc.

Articles authored by any of the cory authorities that deal with substrate. Ian Fuller, Neale Monks, Heiko Bleher, etc.
Neale Monks responded to my email to the WWM about whether my oto might be carrying eggs recently, he was lovely and very helpful, and replied so quickly even though it wasn't urgent.

I'm not sold by that write-up if I'm honest, but that's just me. He states its 'completely inert' but then goes on to say it can slightly raise your PH. How if its 100% inert? Also he's stating its ok for corydoras...
This is not at all scientific, but I have used the Black Diamond blasting sand in planted tanks with Cory Catfish for a few years with zero problems.
I did try a different coal slag from Menard's and that was a mistake, as it was a bit oily.

Why not find a river or creek in your district and go and collect a couple of buckets of what you like and use that. Remember that there will be fish living there similar to the fish you want to keep in your tank. Go natural. Don't over think this stuff

I ordered 20kg of black limpopo sand yesterday off Pro Shrimp just to let everyone know! Ordered some plants as well as some nutri tablets. Now I'm being told the fish are going to eat the plants...why so many pitfalls haha

Why will the fish eat the plants. I have never had fish eat plants apart from silver dollars. Plant your tank to 30-50% and it will be great.

Most reactions

Back