Sand Instead Of Gravel

smallpond

Reaction score
I tried doing a search but the search function didn't want to work :rolleyes: so I am asking you nice people for help. :) I leave for college in the fall and I am having to downsize my tank, I just don't have the room for 10 gallons. So I have a 2 gallon bowl, (it's one of the wide ones, not tall) that I am experimenting with and I think I may want to try out sand.

Who here uses sand instead of gravel? How do you keep it clean, is it hard to clean? I have seen pictures of sand bottom tanks and they all look green just below the surface. :/

I have have been going bare bottom lately but I enjoy the look of sand and would like to know how to actually use it. While I'm thinking about it though, anyone keep java ferns in a bowl without a filter?

I dont get on well with sand. It sort of disappears when I clean the tanks out. Can you get hold of glass pebbles? You can match them to the betta and they are so easy to clean. :good: :good:

sand is a sinch to manage once you get the hang of it.

What are you intending to keep in your bowl?

I've got some glass pebbles in the tank now, but they are the textured kind so my algae eater can't keep them clean, I should have bought smooth ones. :rolleyes:

In the bowl I am just going to have my one betta, Felix. I am going to rehome my pleco, truth be told he has outgrown what I have now, he went from and inch and a half to a whopping 8 inches :hyper: ! A 10 gallon tank is too big for what I will be living in and the bowl is a wide/low which I think work better for bettas. Less of a trip to the surface and more room back and forth than a tall bowl. So Doresy, how do you keep your sand clean, the pics in your signature are lovely! :drool:

While I'm thinking about it though, anyone keep java ferns in a bowl without a filter?

Are you sayimg you are going to keep a betta in a bowl without a filter??????

If you are...........
How would you like to live in a bath, where you wee, poo, throw up, eat ect? :crazy: :sick:
Please consider a filter? :good:

do you think a slate roof tile would work as a base? it would be like having a bare floor, but would be a bit more interesting.

do you think a slate roof tile would work as a base? it would be like having a bare floor, but would be a bit more interesting.
That might be interesting, but I have no idea where I would get just one roofing tile. :/

Are you sayimg you are going to keep a betta in a bowl without a filter??

If you are...........
How would you like to live in a bath, where you wee, poo, throw up, eat ect?
Please consider a filter?
I have been beating my brains out trying to find a small filter that won't whirl him around so my only options are sponge filter and frequent water changes. Both of which I plan on using as soon as I can figure the sponge filter out. Don't worry, I'm not a total idiot. ;)

That might be interesting, but I have no idea where I would get just one roofing tile. :/

Are you sayimg you are going to keep a betta in a bowl without a filter??

If you are...........
How would you like to live in a bath, where you wee, poo, throw up, eat ect?
Please consider a filter?
I have been beating my brains out trying to find a small filter that won't whirl him around so my only options are sponge filter and frequent water changes. Both of which I plan on using as soon as I can figure the sponge filter out. Don't worry, I'm not a total idiot. ;)

i run all my tanks on sponge filters now apart form my 3ft one...

all you need is a small sponge filter, a pump, and weekly waterchanges, the betta wont produce that much waste in a week.

all you need is a small sponge filter, a pump, and weekly waterchanges, the betta wont produce that much waste in a week.
:blush: How exactly does a sponge filter work? Is there a thread on here that explains it? I know it's my best best for a small set up but I don't really know what all I need to set one up.

:blush: How exactly does a sponge filter work? Is there a thread on here that explains it? I know it's my best best for a small set up but I don't really know what all I need to set one up.

You can run them off a air pump, simply connect the airline to the spongefilter and thats it.

You can run them off a air pump, simply connect the airline to the spongefilter and thats it.

are they the odd ones that run on suction alone, no elec?

are they the odd ones that run on suction alone, no elec?

No thats a siphon lol

This is one type of sponge filter
images.jpg

There are other makes and colours, well black.

We use them like 5teady, all our tanks bar the 15 gallon. Just connect the air line from the pump to the nozzle on the filter. As the air bubbles rise up the tube, it causes water to rise which then draws tank water in through the sponge.

The benefits are that you can adjust the flow easily using an air line clamp, low maitenance, clean the sponge once every 4-6 weeks. You can also run a number of filters from one decent pump.

We use them like 5teady, all our tanks bar the 15 gallon. Just connect the air line from the pump to the nozzle on the filter. As the air bubbles rise up the tube, it causes water to rise which then draws tank water in through the sponge.

The benefits are that you can adjust the flow easily using an air line clamp, low maitenance, clean the sponge once every 4-6 weeks. You can also run a number of filters from one decent pump.
Ooohhh! Thank you! :D

Most reactions

Back