Salifert Vs Api Test Kits

Chris_C

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I received my salifert test kits today for ammonia and nitrate. I ordered them because i was struggling to read these two on my API kit. My ammonia was reading somewhere around 0 - 0.25 but wanted to see if it was actually 0 or not. My nitrate was reading at 20.

Just done my first tests and would appreciate feedback from people who have used Salifert kits..

I read the ammonia as 0 or the lowest it goes on this kit.
ammonia.jpg

i read nitrate at between 50 & 100 :S big difference from 20!
nitrate.jpg

So if i am right with what i have said i will never use the API test kit again -_-

Amm is fine mate I read that as zero on my salifert.

As for nitrate if it reads higher than 10 looking from the top of the vial. Look through the side and divide by 10 and that will give you a more accurate reading.

From a quick glance tho I'd say your nitrate is around 7.5 ish using the more sensitive test.

So if i am right with what i have said i will never use the API test kit again
The API kits are terrible in my opinion, the nitrate test kits are so poor they're not worth buying, to be honest I'd trust the saliferts more than the API kits, on numerous tests for me (using calibrated stock solutions) the saliferts have been superb compared to the API kits.

When testing look through the top of the vial they supply, this is the proper reading, looking through the side gives a different reading which you have to divide by a number which I can't recall, refer to your instructions.

Typical bloke syndrome :lol: jump in head first .. do it wrong .. and then read the instructions B-)

Right so to get this right .. i need to mix everything up .. put the lid on .. wait a few minutes and then look down through the lid for the colour?

Then if it reads lower than 10 i look through the side and if it reads 100 for instance i would dived by 10 so it would be an overall reading of 10.

Sorry if i have just given someone a migrane reading that :fun:

Just saw that Salifert explains its high reading discrepencies relative to other kits as a result of "amine interference" causing the low readings for the other kits. Unfortunately, I can't find a reference to "amine interference" in the context of nitrate test reagents that doesn't have a Salifert marketing stamp somewhere on it. There may be a perfectly valid reason in there, but since it seems to be only Salifert using it, the term has a bit of a pulled-out-of-a-hat feel for me and will probably keep that feel until I hear/read a nice reaction-level descrition of why amines would be a problem for the API reagents (first I have to re-discover what those are - ah the joys of checmials packaged as black boxes).

By the way, those with API kits, do check the numbers stamped on the bottle or box (can't remember where it is). In looking for info on this amine business, I was reminded that you can use the last four digits of those to get a MMYY format manufacturing date. Nitrate kits are supposed to be good for ~3 years after that date.

Typical bloke syndrome :lol: jump in head first .. do it wrong .. and then read the instructions B-)

Right so to get this right .. i need to mix everything up .. put the lid on .. wait a few minutes and then look down through the lid for the colour?

Then if it reads lower than 10 i look through the side and if it reads 100 for instance i would dived by 10 so it would be an overall reading of 10.

Yep!..If it reads 10 or lower then look through the side of the viel and what ever the reading indicates on the chart then divide that by 10 and bingo.

looking at your pic, i'm going for 10 at the highest

Yep!..If it reads 10 or lower then look through the side of the viel and what ever the reading indicates on the chart then divide that by 10 and bingo.

I will retest tomorrow :) hopefully it is 10 or less. Think the tank is close to being ready for CUC now.

I will retest tomorrow :) hopefully it is 10 or less. Think the tank is close to being ready for CUC now.

Also remember that the nitrate test you are not supposed to shake it to dissolve the mixture (I think the instructions say swirl). So I don't cap the test tube but just swirl the mixture around. Sometimes it's hard to dissolve.

Also remember that the nitrate test you are not supposed to shake it to dissolve the mixture (I think the instructions say swirl). So I don't cap the test tube but just swirl the mixture around. Sometimes it's hard to dissolve.

I agree! In fact I don't think you shake any of the salifert tests! Just swirl gently and allow the alloted time to dissolve.

Most reactions

Back